As I held my baby in the hospital, a poem from years ago came to my mind, and I couldn't stop thinking about it. At my father's condo, I ransacked my storage boxes trying to find the booklet I had put together in ninth grade. I knew I had to find it. And then I read these words; words I had not read in ten years:
"The Mother's Dream"
by William Barres
I'd a dream to-night
As I fell asleep,
Oh! the touching sight
Makes me still to weep;
Of my little lad,
Gone to leave me sad,
Aye, the child I had,
But was not to keep.
As in heaven high,
I my child did seek,
There, in train, came by
Children fair and meek,
Each in lily white,
With a lamp alight;
Each was clear to sight,
But they did not speak.
Then, a little sad,
Came my child in turn,
But the lamp he had,
Oh! it did not burn;
He, to clear my doubt,
Said, half turned about,
'Your tears put it out;
Mother, never mourn,'
I knew these words were from my little Ty. He wants me to know that if I am sad, he cannot truly be happy. My grief is his grief. But he is ok. And he wants me to know that, so we all can be happy. I cannot tell you how much comfort this poem has brought me. I have no doubt it was meant for me to find, to remember, to understand. My baby is safe. And he is happy and waiting for us.
4 comments:
Oh Erica! I love you! Your little baby is wrapped in our Saviors' arms! Make sure you remember the tender mercies, like this poem. You are so right that it was meant just for you. To give you the comfort you would need right now. To give you the strength to keep going. Those are the things that will get you through the toughest times. All my love my dear friend!
I just can't tell you enough how much I love you and ache with you. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers all day long.
That was the best source of comfort ever! What a beautiful experience for you. My heart is starting to heal. My biggest worry is making sure you and Dan will be okay. I'm glad this brought you comfort.
What a beautiful poem! It is evidence that those we love whisper messages of comfort to us after they have passed. They know what we need to hear and they find a way to pass on the message that they are ok.
Post a Comment