Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bragging Rights

 
Against Dan's will, I am writing the following with a proud smile:
  1. Dan was chosen to be Moot Court President for the upcoming school year, and one of his best buddies, Scott Bayles, is vice president. Moot Court is a law school organization in which the members regularly compete in oral advocacy contests. Dan won the 1L competition and made it to the semi-finals this past year. Since Dan enjoys Moot Court more than anything else in law school, he is very excited to lead the program.
  2. Grades came out. Despite the hardest, most emotional semester of his life, Dan's GPA actually went up and he remains in the top 15% of the class. He would never take full credit for his success. We both know it could not have been done without all the prayers on his behalf, as well as our amazing friends who helped make simultaneous moving and studying possible.
  3. Dan completed his first day of work with Lewis & Roca as a summer associate!
So more on that last one: We are in Phoenix, Arizona for two weeks while Dan is training and orienting himself with Lewis & Roca at their headquarters. He has a comfortable hotel room at Hilton Garden with a king size bed that he shares with me. He will work Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm, at which point I will ditch Phoenix to hang out with my sister Pawnee and her family in Surprise (about 35 minutes away). In the evenings I will meet back up with Dan and enjoy hotel-life! I love hotels. I really do.
There's a little bit of "schmoozing" activities that will take place some of these evenings: a baseball game, BBQ luncheon, bowling, a three day rafting trip... The only one I asked if I could opt out of was bowling. I detest bowling! I'm not very good at it, which is embarrassing, and to be honest I find it boring. But Dan says I need to get to know the attorneys, and thus encourage the hiring process at the end of the summer! So I'll go and try to have fun (Oh, "poor me", right? = ) 

I'm having a blast with Pawnee and the crew though! We enjoyed a great BBQ on memorial day with our cousins. It's so fun to hang out with family - and it's even better when you realize that distance doesn't change solid relationships. We ate too much and laughed so hard! It was wonderful. Even though Dan and I were sad that evening after everyone left, it's memories like the previous hours that keep us going and recharge our batteries.

COUSINS! I love them so much.
(Erica, Jenny, Pawnee Kali, Stephanie)

 
Before dinner (which was supposed to be lunch but we all stuffed ourselves on homemade guacamole and fruit salsa!) Kali set us up with "The Newly Wed" game. She had a list of questions and a gift basket for the most-knowledgeable, winning couple. That's where a lot of the laughter came in, as couples argued about how they couldn't believe specific questions could be missed, and as embarrassing moments were revealed... In the end, we all tied at 19/40 questions (some of them were really tricky questions!!) and had a couple tie-breaker rounds. Because they supplied the gift basket, Kali and Taylor forfeited their winning rights to Pawnee and Thomas, who have been married the longest anyway, so they probably needed the date-night kit to spice up their marriage!

One other hilarious moment was when Kali noticed the name on the bag of popcorn she supplied:"Mantequilla." She panicked, thinking she had bought alcoholic popcorn, until she realized that's the word for "butter" in Spanish! Oh, we had a great laugh after that one. In fact, most everything Kali said that night resulted in my holding my stomach. I love that girl!

7 comments:

Dan and Leslie said...

It looks like you're having fun! Congratulations to Dan (and you - we all know you worked hard alongside him)! I'm so relieved to learn I'm not the only person who hates bowling. Bowling is greasy and boring, and no, I can't break 100. At least there are nachos. :)

We love you guys!

Jon and Kim said...

Sounds like a blast! I love being with family! That is the best, especially during holidays.

Congratulations Dan! I am not at all surprised! But you deserve to brag a little. Or at least hold your humble poker face and let your wife do the bragging for you! :)

Erica, bowling isn't that bad. You could really turn it into a fun time and get the little kiddie rail that you roll the ball down and have them put up bumpers for you. Or you could at least attend, and just socialize while everyone else bowls.

Enjoy every moment of this new adventure! Love you guys!

Ryan and Emily said...

Congrats to Dan! That is very impressive. I am jealous of your fun Memorial Day with the family! That sounds like so much fun!! Ryan and I just went suit shopping all day...boring!

Hoenes Family said...

Man Erica, you never cease to move me to tears. What you did for your Telos boys I think will impact their lives forever. Especially since you shared something so personal with them. I am certain what you share is going to change some if not all of their lives. I was worried about memorial day because I was unsure how to handle the situation. I didn't know if I should just go on as normal, or if I should let you know that I knew it might be a hard day for you and talk about Ty. Which is why I decided that I would bring him up once. He will surely never be forgotten in our family. What a special little boy. I am so glad that you feel his presence near. What a wonderful thing to have the weather turn out great for your field trip.

I am so proud of Dan! I wish I would have known about all those accomplishments sooner, so that I could congratulate him to his face! That is so awesome! Sounds like he was meant to be an attorney. I also have no doubt in my mind that you were meant to be a rec. therapist. You are perfect for the job and it is clear that the kids you work with love you.

I am so glad we go to see and hang out with you guys on memorial day. I appreciated everyone's good attitude about the not so "newlywed" game :) That is what made it so fun. Thanks for all your advice on the teamwork games. I will let you know how it goes. I love you guys to pieces.

k.young said...

You look like you are doing well and that you are happy. I am so glad you guys had a good weekend. And way to go, Dan!!
You asked a while ago on my blog if we were coming to SLC this Fall or not. Well, yes, we are. We will be there the end of July to live until Hunter is done with school. I would LOVE to get together when we get out there!

Stephanie and Cody Sunderhaus said...

WAY TO GO DAN!!! I'm so proud of you! And it really was such a blast! I can't wait to see you again this week! Love you!

elias said...

Congrats to you and Dan! He worked really hard and you guys should be proud of his success. I'm sure Ty is smiling down on you guys! The Mantiquilla experienced cracked me up!

Post a Comment