Sunday, May 8, 2011

Backing up to EASTER

The Saturday after Dan's graduation, we had a family BBQ at Bicentennial Park. The weather was typical April weather in Utah: freezing and rainy! Bundled up, we still had so much fun and really yummy food. The Easter Egg hunt for the kiddos warmed us all up as all the adults ran after the kids to help them scavenge for candy or, like me, try and capture a few pictures.

My mom, Pat, and Lynette

Shipley kids

with the fifth Shipley cozy in his car seat. (9 weeks old!)

 Love Ethan's Popeye-grin!

Jake, Carrie, and Lila

Kroc (Ryan) and Megan

 Aunt Cindy and Sandra

Not sure what was happening here between Dan and Thomas . . .but I caught it on camera as evidence!


Ryan, Emily, and Addie on her first Easter ever. At just a little over a year, it's so fun watching her walk around these days.

 Addie wasn't crazy about the texture of the grass.

And she thought it was more practical to eat the plastic egg whole rather than collect it in her basket!

 Lila charging around with her Grandma. These two are inseparable when they're together.



 

 My dad playing the "Easter Bunny" with his expensive offerings of Sees Candy gourmet chocolate eggs! YUM.

The guys survived the cold weather longer than the ladies, playing sports and messing around with Dan's remote control truck that he pulls out every so often. The women warmed up inside the condo while the kids dyed eggs.

 Cute Lila, so proud of her egg. Nice job, Sista!



 I got as much baby-snuggling time with Ethan as I could. He's so adorable. I love this little baby stage!

Sunday Dinner
 The "Rock" family joined forces for a potluck dinner in Murray. We had ham, quiche, salad, sweet potato casserole, funeral potatoes, asparagus, and deviled eggs. Everything was delicious!!

 Then it was time for our 2nd annual Egg-Derby. Last year we dyed eggs. This year for simplicity-sake, we just decorated two each and named them. This was one of mine named, "Prego-My-Eggo" (as Dan always calls me). The egg was supposed to look pregnant but all anyone could focus on was . . .well, see for yourself! No one noticed the "empire waist" detail I tried to draw to show the egg is wearing maternity clothes. Pervs.

 In the Egg-Derby, each person rolls an egg at their opponent and only one egg is supposed to crack and loses. For some odd, unknown reason, BOTH eggs kept cracking during every single round. So, in order to determine a winner, we decided to play to the death: meaning, until one egg busted open its yolk! There really is no explanation why this game is so entertaining for a room full of adults. But it was. But we were all laughing so hard!

Patrick was the winner, hands down. His egg (named "Welcome to the Tax Bracket" and aimed at Dan) was the only one that didn't burst open. With Lynette winning last year's Egg-Derby, the two of them have certainly created a strong family reputation. Until next year!

Following the Egg-Derby, we played a couple rounds of "Progressive Charades". It's my new favorite game, especially because all you need is pens, paper, and a group of fun-loving people willing to make fools of themselves. It's kind of a combination of Taboo and charades, mixed into three different rounds. Without going into all the rules and details, just know that even more laughter was involved. I literally peed my pants when I tried to charade my way through helping my team guess, "Prince Humperdink". I'll let your imagination do the work!

All the candy, games, and food aside, on a more serious note, I truly am grateful for the real meaning of Easter, and the even greater significance Christ's sacrifice plays in my life. The Atonement has sustained me this past year in ways I never understood were possible until I experienced it for myself. I am grateful to be a part of this church and gospel!

2 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

Loved the pics. What a wonderful family you have and so extremely close and supportive of each other. I love it.

Karmen said...

The egg derby looks like SO much fun! I may need to start that tradition in my family. I think the Maxwells would be good candidates for that game. :) I'm glad you had a good Easter!

Post a Comment