Saturday, December 24, 2011

7 months




My friend, Danae Curtis, made this skirt and head-band for Aiyana. Love it!

We have hit many milestones in this past month! And most of this has happened in the past two weeks:

  • Biggest news: We moved Aiyana into her crib! On December 4th, I had no more excuses. The crib has been set up for a little while now but we did not have curtains to block the early morning light, nor did we have the video monitor set up on the wall. However, with both of those taken care of and with lack of sleep giving me an encouraging nudge, we laid Aiyana in her crib at 8pm. She went right to sleep but I prepared myself for her usual 3-4 hour wakings. I spoke with friends and family about the crying-it-out method and prepared myself for the agony, not sure if there could be any way around it. But Aiyana shocked us. She did wake at midnight and around 4am, but each time she only sleepily fussed and cried for 30 seconds to a minute here and there. After no more than 15 minutes of this, she put herself back to sleep until 7am! I thought I'd gottten lucky on the first night, but every night after that, she slept more soundly from 8pm-6:30 or 7am. It's not perfect. I've occasionally still gone in there to partially nurse her if she is screaming at the top of her lungs. At first I felt like, "No, maybe I shouldn't 'cause that's breaking the rules . . . " But I've had to remind myself, "WHAT rules? They're MY rules!" I didn't want to cut the night-time nursing cold-turkey, so it's a work in progress with tons of progress.
  • Aiyana no longers needs to be swaddled at nap-time, in conjunction with . . .
  • Aiyana naps in her crib 2-3 times a day: This all happened at the same time as moving her into her crib at night. Up to this point, I still swaddled her during day-time naps and left her in her pink bouncy seat because she slept solidly and I didn't want to ruin a good thing. The first nap in her crib, (the same day before we put her in their at night) she screamed for 45 minutes before later napping in it for an hour. Now, she seems to love her naps again. At 9:30am she naps for 40 min to an hour-and-a-half, afternoon nap from 1 or 1:30pm for up to 2 hours still, and possibly a cat-nap around 5pm. Bedtime pushed back to 8pm.
  • Aiyana sits up without toppling over (still can't get herself into a sitting position by herself though)
  • No progress towards crawling (which, as excited as I am for something new, I'm just fine with), but she rolls around quite well, and can rotate 360 degrees on her belly.
  • Eats all sorts of food, loving oatmeal mixed with anything sweet, of course.
  • MOM'S milestone: I've reached my pre-pregnancy baby weight! I just hit 137lbs, a weight I was only able to enjoy for a couple weeks before becoming pregnant with Aiyana. Yahoo! Thanks given to, yes, still Jillian Michael's THE SEQUEL ("Ripped in 30") 2-3 times a week, and not having a car which forces me to walk more.
It's about time to graduate to the big tub! She still loves bath-time.


No more teeth yet, but still still enjoys chomping on everything, including an occasional pinch while nursing. Youch.



Her growling has now escalated to screaming at the top of her lungs! It's very cute and funny, but sometimes her scream reaches a cringe-worthy screech. She just loves to be heard! Unfortunately, she has also just discovered how to blow her lips together. She thinks is hilarious to wait for the ammo and then spit it all over me. Makes feedings a little bit difficult!
She is so much fun, and still has that quick little temper of hers. If I've guess wrong about her needs, she has little patience with me! For the most part, she is still very cooperative though, which is why I want to be patient with her at night-time. She's pretty good to me! We have the car two days out of the week so we have to cram a ton of errands into our mornings, often-times being gone from 7:45am (to drop Dan off at work) and not returning until nap-time around 1pm. She seems to enjoy getting out of the house as much as I do, though. On no-car days, we occasionally walk the 7 minutes to Albertsons to pick up a few items I might have forgotten on our big grocery trip, or sometimes just as an excuse for a little extra exercise.

Love this girl and all her strong-willed, LOUD personality!
P.S. I'm sorry, Aiya, for always laughing when you make your poop faces and noises. It's just too funny and adorable.

1 comment:

Karen Ella said...

Gah! She is SOOOO cute!!!!

Post a Comment