Five years ago, I completed an exam that nationally certified me as a Recreation Therapist. I have only worked in Utah and found my comfort zone with at-risk teens in residential treatment. Moving to Vegas, I assumed I would follow suite. However, with some past summer experiences in Vegas and more independent research, I found myself dragging my feet when thinking about working in residential treatment here. Having come from working with Telos and the high caliber of people that make up such a fantastic program, I think I'm afraid I will be disappointed.
One night about a month ago, I was browsing the internet looking for teen programs where I might be able to create a job for myself -- something that would allow me enough minimal hours to keep up with my certification requirements and take me away from Aiyana and Dan as little as possible. I came across a lead given to me by one of Dan's co-workers two years ago when this attorney was brainstorming Vegas youth centers with me.
"Adam's Place: A grief center for children and families".
As I searched the web for any information I could find on this non-profit organization, I read their website, news articles, video-clips . . . and felt powerfully drawn towards this program. I wanted to work there. I needed to!
Propelled by my eager excitement, I contacted the founder through email and then a couple meetings in person the following week. I introduced the idea of recreation therapy and how hands-on experiences can generate positive, healthy discussion and aid in healing, and allow participants to explore deep-rooted emotions. . . She loved the idea.
So now, I have the opportunity to be a part of Adam's Place, where every other Monday night, children and parents split into age-appropriate groups to openly discuss how they are feeling about losing family members. Last Monday, I observed the "middlers" group, ages 7-12, and had to fight back tears hearing the young ones bluntly and casually mention their fathers' deaths . They are too young to refrain from making seemingly inappropriate jokes or comments throughout group, but emotionally aged enough to understand how to be serious for a few minutes at a time and respect each others' loss.
I also observed their good-bye circle where they said farewell to a facilitator who had been working with Adam's Place for two years. The simple ceremony involved holding hands in a large circle and taking turns saying quick good-byes. The woman leaving was given a pouch with various polished stones to represent how challenges in life polish and refine us. Included in the pouch was an unpolished crystal, standing out from the other smooth stones with its gritty, jagged texture -- representing that as healed and polished as we become, there will be a part of us that is still raw and imperfect in our grief.
I stood there amidst a circle of strangers, most of whom I had not met yet -- But with the warm wind blowing in the early evening, and observing the faces of those who suffered similar pain to my own, I felt something touch me with such power and emotion that I couldn't help but cry. If I'd been at church, I would have described the feeling as the Holy Ghost seeping into my soul. It felt the same, testifying to me that I want and need to be a part of Adam's Place.
My initial motivation was to volunteer as a recreation therapist for a couple months and hope that they would hire me on as an employee. However, as soon as I met them and realized their humble beginnings of only a few years, I knew that employment is not an option. As far as certification requirements go, volunteering still "counts" towards accruing "professional hours", so it still helps me keep up my credentials. I have five years so there's no rush. I can find a job elsewhere. All I know is that it's important for me to be here volunteering in the meantime.
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
4 comments:
I know you are going to be a tremendous tool in helping so many young lives heal. You have a gift, Erica. This is one of your life's missions, to bring peace, support and healing to the downtrodden and hurt. They are lucky to have you!
You are awesome!
Wow, what an amazing place! I'm so glad you found it! You will be able to do such fantastic things there.
I loved seeing the pictures of your sweet little one growing up so fast! That is awesome about Adam's Place too. It sounds like such a neat place and makes for a great schedule for you:) I am sure you will do a lot of good there.
Post a Comment