Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Partying at Lake Mead

For Kroc's birthday, we met up at Lake Mead, utilizing his friend's amazing houseboat! It was my first time on a houseboat and I quite impressed with the beautiful apartment inside and plenty of sleeping space. We were there just for the day though. Awesome day!

I couldn't believe how clear the water was and the perfect, pleasant temperature. I am usually pretty freaked out when it comes to swimming in water where I can't see what's swimming around me or beneath me. However, I had minimal reservations here.

Aiyana didn't quite feel the same. That look of distaste lasted for the first few minutes. I love that scrunched up nose and the sound she makes in protest -- like a very whiny, dissatisfied "oh! oh!" said with pursed, pouty lips. The cutest.

Still not loving it, even in her floaty-boat.

But eventually, we got her! THERE'S that beautiful smile.

This turned out to be one of my mom's most favorite days in Las Vegas. (Thanks, Meg and Ryan for the invite!)

With all the floatable chairs, we had plenty of relaxing going on, though that was often interrupted with huge splashes from the boys who tried over and over again to dive into the tubes. Like so:

Dan's perfect dive. This guy belongs in the Olympics. (and bragged like he had the rights, too!)

There's our other cute girl, geared up and ready.

and our handsome Calvin.
I don't remember what was happening here!
Yet another Swan Dive from Dan.

This is Casey, whose family owns the houseboat. He is the nicest guy and so awesome with the kids.









Do you see the intensity in this run? I'm telling you. It was serious business.

Oops. Sometimes they missed. = )

Us ladies followed suite after the men and swam the 300+ yards to this mound of tires. The swim was fabulous. I haven't gone swimming (tanning beside a pool or playing in the shallow end with babies doesn't count) in so long! It felt great stretching all my swim muscles. The hardest part was taking turns tugging and pushing the floaty tube that the boys insisted we bring along just in case. The tires were not much to look at. Slimy, sort of barnacle-type stuff all over it and super hot on the surface!
Look at these sleepy kids. They played hard!

Trying to get a good picture and it didn't work out. "Hold on to them, Lila!" She tried.
Before the day closed we took the boat out to this cove and went swimming some more. The boys climbed up and jumped off some of the cliffs. Don't mind Dan. He's just using the life-jacket as a "diaper" as he put it.



A few of us tried out wake boarding and skiing. (Jake and Dan did so well -- muscle-memory from their childhood boating days, I guess) I haven't been since I was probably 14 and even then, I'd only gotten up once after trying a handful of times. But apparently, I remembered what I was supposed to do because I got up on my first try, and the other 3-4 times after that. I'd be interested in trying that out again! (Don't let the picture fool you. Carrie would have had to take it pretty fast to snap it before I fell each time!)

Happy Birthday, Krockers!
Thanks for the fun day celebrating with you!

2 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

That sounds amazing! What a great way to spend the day! I need to get me one of those!

Danae Curtis said...

Looks like fun! The pictures of Aiyana smiling made my heart melt! What a cutie! Miss you guys!

Post a Comment