At church, I had a brief taste of being in the Relief Society presidency, followed by a brief few months in Young Womens as Beehive Counselor because . . . as of today, I was sustained and set apart as the 2nd counselor in the Stake Young Womens Presidency. Lots of experiences in this past year and apparently, more new ones to come!
I can't say my first reaction was excitement to move to the stake level. I am comfortable where I'm at -- I LOVE the leaders I work with; I'm enjoying my Beehives and really starting to connect with them, especially with the ones I need to most; the work-load is busy but the perfect kind of busy for me. I enjoy organizing and planning activities and being involved, but it hasn't been overwhelming. With the baby coming in ~11 weeks (what??), I was feeling confident in adding one element of change to our family.
So much for that! However, my concerns aside, I am happy that I am working with a presidency that has been together for a number of years so at least THEY know what they're doing. I know I will do well in whatever I am asked and will be able to handle it. I'm actually not scared to work with the stake leaders -- but being more on the administrative end and looking at "big picture" stuff rather than the hands-on details. . . it sounds a little boring, to be honest! But maybe I will love it. And in some ways, it may be easier in the sense that I'll have tons of Sunday meetings but not so much during the weekday.
So as I was thinking about these things, weighing the pros and cons but knowing ultimately, it would be ok, Dan and I both met with Bishop over tithing settlement and he added one more item to the agenda: Dan was called to be Priest Quorum Advisor. He will be fantastic with the young men! Since the Pioneer Trek, all the boys have continued vying for Dan's attention. The young men respond quite well to Dan's brusque personality with them, which often surprises me, and I see a glimpse of how Dan's father must have been with Dan (at least from the hilarious and sometimes abrasive stories I hear!) He is a good fit for them.
Of course, if I was a bit anxious about my calling, now we have another big one to fit into our lives before baby comes! We had to laugh because Bishop said they've had Dan's name on the table for some time now, but because I was all ready in Young Womens they usually try not to put a husband and wife with the youth at the same time. Funny that me working with the stake doesn't deter them though!
I just need to take a breath because I often jump ahead of myself, trying to picture how life is going to be and jumping to conclusions that present stressful life circumstances. But it always needs to come back to "one day at a time" and accepting life for what it gives and demands of you. It'll be just fine.
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
1 comment:
This is what happens when you're a rockstar, friend. ;)
Post a Comment