Thursday, April 27, 2017

Aaron, four years-old

Aaron, you made it to four!

We are so grateful for the positive changes and maturity in Aaron over the last six months. The night terrors and long-winded, daily tantrums have subsided and he often is a sweet, snuggly boy! If I allowed it, he'd sit in my lap all day, making crafts with glue, paper, and tape, He is a mama's boy through and through, with a naturally calmer, slower energy. However, around his big sis, a more playful side comes out, as does a more tempered side! =) Aiya brings out his best and worst, as he's easily agitated and often over-reacts immediately.

However, at home with Logan and me, Aaron is chatty and descriptive in play. He LOVES his toys, even the oldest, most random item and is very sad if he discovers I've thrown something away. He mourns with much guilt-tripping comments like, "Then I'm never going to hug you, or love you, ever again!" His over-dramatics can make me laugh and smile and drive me crazy all at once. He's such a cute little monkey who loves to climb on me and hang off my limbs. When he's in a good mood, he's so lovable, this handsome little boy who could never get enough attention from me.

Dan says, "When he knows he's got your attention all to himself, that's when he shares his real gems." Yes, this boy values undivided, individual attention. He hates when "you're talking over me!", whether it's us parents trying to resolve his concerns too soon, or Aiya interrupting with excitement to answer a question that he hasn't finished speaking on. He often has beautiful one-liners like, "You're the most beautiful mommy in the whole world." Or hugging me and saying, "Here. You deserve this." The way he speaks, with just a hint of a lisp, is sweet and tender!

Of course, his tempered side can be a force to be reckoned with. When he's over-tired and upset, sometimes he responds like a wounded animal, lashing out (sometimes physically, swiping at us but not very hard) and screaming. He's very sensitive to being yelled out and escalates in return. He gets nervous sleeping at night-time and ends up in our bed most nights. Usually I don't mind. I like feeling his little body close to mine, vulnerable and needing snuggles. Aiya grew out of it when she went to school. I know he will, too, so I'm not in a rush to kick him out. We set goals each night, earning stars or tokens and that has worked for a period of time. Right now, he's back to slipping in sometime between midnight and 3 AM. It'll be ok though.

I only have just over a year with Aaron before he starts kindergarten! It's making me sentimental and sad, imagining two of my babies being out of the home more than in it with me. So glad I still have time with Aaron, though he's eager to follow in big sister's footsteps and all the exciting milestones that come with growing up and going to school. He will be an excellent student. He's very polite when he goes to friend's homes and moms are always impressed with him.

Right now he plays a couple times a week with Jaron Prince. His mom, Michelle and I have a few things in common, namely our boys who play well together! Jaron's little brother, Kenny, is not quite Logan's buddy yet. They fight more than play but they're used to each other's presence and one day will be good friends like Aaron and Jaron. It's been amazing seeing Aaron play toys with Jaron. Their combined imagination is so entertaining to eaves-drop on, always involving dinosaurs, cars, airplanes, and mouth sound-effects that sounds like a lot of spitting! (motor and shooting sounds. Ha ha!) Boys play so differently than girls! At least from what I've seen in my household. Aaron plays really well with kids a little older than him. The kids his age don't quite seem up to his maturity, at least last year when he was three. Other nursery kids couldn't talk half as much as him so he wasn't interested in communicating or playing. ha ha He understands the big kids though, and plays very well with boys or girls in one-on-one settings. In groups where there are lots of kids, Aaron is likely to go play on his own. Not sad, but in fact, completely content to be in his own world. He is AMAZING at creative, imaginative play, no matter the circumstances.

I have a tender spot in my heart for Aaron. I see his sensitivity. Sense it, and just want to handle his heart with care! I'm not always the best at doing so. Sometimes I need more space than he wants to give me, or try to write or get personal things done and that can be hard for Aaron. He's such a smart kid, who thinks bigger and more intelligently than he can express, though he tries.

Love this big boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment