I took the pregnancy test before going to the gym on the morning of February 19. The results came up invalid, to my anxious disappointment. So i decided I better wait another day anyway. However, after returning home, I just couldn't wait another day. I took another test...and then my eyes widened in disbelief as I read and re-read the result intructions. Despite having seen an endless pile of negative results, it took a full five minutes before I allowed myself to believe it was true. I was really pregnant!
All day I was dying to tell Dan, but despite 13 months of day-dreaming about how I would tell him, I was stumped for ideas. Then I remembered a book I'd seen at Barnes & Noble. I quickly purchased it and wrapped it in this red t-shirt I had purchased months before. Then I waited for Dan to finish working on both of our cars...for hours!
FINALLY, I told Dan I had a belated Valentine's gift for him - made believable by the stale, heart-shaped cookie that was on sale at the bookstore. Dan unwrapped the shirt and laughed when he read the title of the book, which says, "My Boys can Swim!" He thanked me for the book with a casual hug... to which I stood before him, dumfounded at his reaction.
"Do I need to show you THE STICK??" I asked, for lack of better words in the moment. And at last, Dan comprehended the hidden message. We hugged and kissed and cried happy tears!
No comments:
Post a Comment