Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Waiting to be Induced

Well, I’m sitting here in the Orem Community Hospital in one of those unflattering half-naked gowns, propped up in a fairly comfortable bed, and in a very large, private room, and I have my lap-top with access to their wireless internet, so what more could I ask for??

Just a healthy delivery of my baby boy! I am waiting to be induced today!

Ok, so this will be long, but while I have the time and energy, I want to record all of this so I don't forget! And for anyone interested, here are the details of what's happening:

I went in to the hospital this morning for a non-stress test, which resulted in another ultra-sound. Basically, my low amniotic fluid is still a concern. Last week I was at 6.5cm and today they could barely find any fluid - almost less than 6cms. (And for those that don't know, major concern is less than 5cms). A specialist came in to look at me. Baby is measuring about 7lbs, but his stomach and femur look 2 weeks behind. This could be because the placenta is not working as well... they're not really sure. Baby's heart-beat and reaction to the NST was just fine. But the doctor was really concerned about the lack of amniotic fluid because while the baby is ok right now, there was chance he could sit on his cord or not be cushioned enough, etc... The doctor turned to me and said, "I think we need to send you to labor and delivery to be induced."

I immediately started crying - but they were happy tears, mingled with excitement and nerves... I said, "I'm having my baby today!" My mom was with me and hugged me and we both cried a little more. Then I called Dan and told him he was gonna be a Daddy today!

Funnily enough, we hurried home first and I finished packing my hospital bag, which I had slacked on fully preparing. Then I threw a straightener through my hair (yes, I felt the need to get rid of my scrunched hair!) and was ready to go.

So here I am, hooked up to some monitors and waiting for this crazy experience that I get to call my own... I'm sure it will be many hours before I'm done with it all or maybe even tomorrow. But I can't wait for Dan and I to meet our son and add to our family. It's been a long journey getting here, and it will just keep on going!

I'll keep you posted when baby arrives!
Love,
Erica, Dan, and baby Ty

No comments:

Post a Comment