Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Complete!

Some of you know this already, but for those who don't... I finished my novel!

In October 2008, back when the economy began it's super-awesome descent, I was laid off from my job. With all my free time, I felt an old, forgotten desire to write again. I found a few pages of a story I had started a few years ago. It was only a scene or two, but suddenly, I felt like it could grow to be more than that. So, I dived right in! Suddenly, I was writing a chapter here and there. Pawnee and Jen caught on to what I was doing and after reading some of it, pushed and encouraged me chapter by chapter to keep going! Dan was just as helpful, letting me bounce plot-line ideas off him...But then I got distracted with being hired, laid off again, substituting, getting pregnant, starting two new part-time jobs... and it became increasingly difficult to stay focused! But I was determined to finish it before baby Ty arrived!

Well, I did finish it in time - or so I thought, until a few weeks after Ty's birth, I decided it needed more scenes and more editing. And the impossible task of finishing my book was at me again! I knew I just needed a couple days of uninterrupted time to myself - which all moms know, that does not exist! But finally in January, something clicked: I made the time, Ty cooperated, Dan was focused on writing a 30 page brief, and.. Ta Da! It was done! I still call it a final draft because I know if I'm serious about getting it published, there will be an endless amount of editing to do again.

But now I can focus my time on learning how to publish it: starting with reading the book Dan bought me for Christmas, "Publishing for Idiots"! Ok, that might seem rude to some people, but Dan knows me too well. He knew I'd be overwhelmed with a lengthy, over-detailed and wordy "how to" book. This one is simplistic in writing and perfect. So here I go!

My self-confidence wavers, but everyone in my family is so supportive so I have to at least try! I know it won't be loved by all, but I think it has a good message for some.

For those who are curious, here's a little about the story-line, without giving too much away:
It's geared towards adolescents so the main character is a teenage girl who is forced to spend the summer up at a cabin with her dad, step-mom and step-brother. At the same time that she's trying to deal with these new family dynamics, she's also forced to deal with some recent loss in her life and a phobia that developed. Then she meets an older guy with a shielded past who she's drawn to, but not sure she can trust... ultimately, it's about relationships and learning how to heal and love... that kind of thing.

5 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

I'm so happy to hear you finished! From what you told me about it, i think it's a great story! The excitement that lays ahead for you!

k.young said...

I can't wait to read your book!!

Hoenes Family said...

Soooo.....do I get to read it..........before it's published!????

The Hickman Family said...

So...when do I get to read a copy?

Ellen said...

Sounds AWESOME! I can't wait to read it!!

Post a Comment