Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A Note on Publishing

I've taken a step backwards in hopes to take a bigger step forward.

I turned in my revised manuscript to the editor around the first week of May, which meant I knew I had to wait a couple months to hear back from him. In the meantime, I was feeling unsure if this was the right publishing company to go with. Covenant Communications is mostly LDS literature which limits the audience, and my book is not LDS-based. But I didn't want to become overly confident and think I could do better. I was just excited that any editor wanted to look at my first attempt. However, recently, my Writer's Groups informed me they think my manuscript deserves a publishing company that will broaden my audience - especially since Covenant Communications only publishes in Seagull Book and Desert Book store. Other people I spoke with also agreed. So, I decided to follow my heart and retract my manuscript from the editor. Part of me thinks it's risky to get picky...that maybe I should be pickier with a future project. But there is a message in my book that I believe can be appreciated by a lot of people and I don't want to limit myself. Just because this is my first attempt doesn't mean I can't make it a little bigger.

So, in not wanting to waste any more of the editor's time (or mine, since courtesy in the publishing business means not submitting elsewhere until I hear back from them) I contacted the editor and explained my publishing goals. He replied that he completely understood the want for a broader audience. He also liked my other idea...

I have been thinking a lot (as I always am) about Ty's story from pre-conception, to death, to our experience in overcoming this adversity of losing him. There are some unique elements about his story, some of which I have not yet shared in detail on the blog, but which I happily share with others in person because I feel close to Ty when I speak of him. An almost tangible spirit surrounds me, and others seem to feel it too, whether it is through reading about it or kindly listening. Over this last month, I have felt compelled to write it all down in sequence, which I have yet to do. I don't know if this is too presumptuous but I've been feeling like our experience and the way Dan and I continue to work through our loss may be able to help others who are struggling.

I realize I've written most of it along the way on my blog - how grief can be overcome through the atonement and service and friendships and family... how much of what we've learned can be applied to other trials...

I haven't figured it out yet, but somehow I want to organize what I have written on my blog with scripture and ensign articles, and especially some specific general conference talks.

If anyone has suggestions on how else I could do this to be most beneficial, or any thoughts you have, that would be helpful. I'm excited to work on this when I get back to Vegas. At times I know it will be difficult to address some of this, but it will be worthwhile to complete. I hope.

4 comments:

Jon and Kim said...

I'm English retarded, so I am not writing to give you suggestions. But I think your idea is great! then would you try to publish it with the LDS publisher? Maybe you needed to make that connection to open the door for your next book. you will do awesome! Even if you never publish Ty's story, I think it will be very therapeutic for you to write it all out. It is great for your family history as well. But I am sure that your experience will touch the lives of many and help them through similar experiences. Love you!

Hoenes Family said...

I too think that there is a message to be learned for a broader audience than the LDS crowd. I am excited to see where all of this goes in the future. I predict the future is very bright for you :) I love that you got up and shared your testimony when it wasn't your ward. You are my hero!

elias said...

Sounds like a step forward to me, Erica. Now that you have your foot in the door with Covenant, you can publish there in the future - maybe with the book you're going to write on the joy of having Ty and using the Atonement and plan of salvation to deal with grief. I'll pray you receive inspired direction on how to proceed with writing it. My first impression is just start at the beginning - a short description of how you and Dan met and married, then move to the preconception part - and the structure and content of the rest will flow in due time.

Much love,
Elias

Noss said...

I think it's a wonderful idea to publish Ty's story. I don't think I told you this, but my brother and sister in law lost their baby 3 days after she was born. Their loss is so deep and any sharing of your experience WILL help someone...it doesn't matter who. You are so talented, Erica, and I love you to pieces!

Post a Comment