The river trip with Lewis & Roca begins! Dan and I just completed a mild river trip a month ago down the Colorado river with my Transition boys, so we feel like experts - especially since we now know that the inflatable kayaks are called "duckies!" But we won't be rafting the San Juan until tomorrow.
We drove from Phoenix to Bluff, UT on a big bus today. The drive through Flagstaff was gorgeous! Love the pine trees! Being on this trip is already reminding me of what it's like to live outside the familiarity of our lovely "Utah Bubble". I forgot what it's like to be a religious minority, like how I grew up overseas.
The casual beer drinking doesn't really bother me. But today on the 6 hour bus ride, we were subjected to two R-rated movies that were filthy and crude and we couldn't do anything about it but try and ignore it. I was able to tune it out fairly well after I started my newly purchased novel, "Vampire Diaries", and later fell asleep. (I'm so happy to be reading again!)
We went out to dinner with all the attorneys and summer associates and had a nice time chatting with everyone. Just before dessert arrived, Dan stepped into the bathroom to wash rib sauce out of his shirt (of course!) or his keener eye might have been able to warn me sooner. But as soon as I took a big bite of what deceivingly looked like some kind of custardy angel-food-cake, I tasted the alcohol at the same time someone mentioned the potency of the rum cake! It couldn't possibly be more absorbed with alcohol.
Bleck. Even sugar coated it tastes disgusting!
While everyone else was devouring their dessert, I sat quietly and peered at my cake. I wondered if I should politely treat it like a tray of cafeteria food in elementary school, where I'd chop into the meal and push it around on my plate to look like I'd stomached more than I was capable. But I decided I didn't need to pretend. I never used to. So I just continued to talk to everyone. I did get excited when they brought out raspberry sorbet and a gingerbread cookie for everyone. Now that's more my style!
I certainly don't think less of other people who live differently. It's just...different. And that's OK, and even a little refreshing.
There are a lot of cool people on this trip with us. It's going to be a fun three days to come!
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
6 comments:
This reminds me of all the social events I had to attend for work. I grimed and bared it and i"m grateful it's over! Good job avoiding what you can. And good job blending in and acting chill.
I thought of you this week, as I went with Jon to his company Lagoon day. I had to try to be all social with people Jon doesn't even know. It is not so fun! But hang in there. You are doing a great job!
Oh man. Ruined dessert. Darnit! Sorry that happens, but it sounds like you two are handling all of it well. See you soon!
This reminds me of when I unknowing took a bite of a chocolate bar that contained espresso beans the day after I was baptized. The good new is you didn't go back for a second bite! Hahaha!
That's "unknowingly"
I'm always so afraid of the whole 'alcohol hidden in food' thing when we go to Bryce's work functions. I've been lucky so far and have been able to avoid it. Why must they put rum in cake??? It does not sound appetizing. I hope you have fun on the rest of your trip!
Post a Comment