Publishing is all a bit of a game to me - one I'm trying to figure out along the way through a lot of reading and research.
My goal this week was to buckle down and begin the steps towards finding myself a literary agent, who will then be in charge of finding me an appropriate editor and publishing company. I spent a long time revamping my query, which is a crucial one page letter to an agent pitching the manuscript. If it's not catchy and promising, agents could throw it out in less than a minute and move on to next hundred of queries. Optimistically, though, the goal is for them to ask for sample pages.
Since Tuesday, I have submitted eleven queries via email, as requested. I received my first, impersonal rejection letter on Wednesday, and totaled three by Friday. I wasn't broken hearted by any means. Choosing those agents was a shot in the dark! (with a little suggested help from subscribing to Writersmarket.com)
One thing that did shake my confidence, though, was sending my first ten pages to an editing company that offered free first time service. I received their brochure from the writers conference I attended in April so I figured it couldn't hurt. Uh - Yeah. My confidence was hurt! This editor tore it apart. She had some helpful tips. But ultimately, despite my writing be "good overall", she did not like it and said if she was an agent or publishing editor, she would not keep reading. Ouch! I tried to keep in mind that I didn't send her the plot summary so she had no idea what it was about... but still. Fresh eyes, and THAT was her opinion? All sorts of thoughts started drifting through my head, such as, "Why did I really think I could do this? How many people are out there, just like me, imagining they can do this? Why am I any different or unique?"
After reassurance from family and friends, I reminded myself that I need to toughen up if I really want to make it through to the publishing world. And just because my manuscript didn't appeal to a few agents...or maybe most agents by the time all is said and done... all it takes is one. And every rejection is really just proof that I am trying. (A part of me wants to add, "that's just what losers/rejects say! Just kidding!)
I hadn't checked my email since this afternoon. When I returned at 11pm tonight, I didn't even read the email in its entirety before I bounced on the bed exclaiming, "I got one!! She wants to read more!"
Laura Rennert, of Andrea Brown Literary Agency, wrote, "Dear Erica, Thanks for your query letter and submission. I am intrigued by the premise of HIDDEN PINES and your first 10 pages, and I'd be happy to see more of your work." She asked me to submit the first fifty pages!
If nothing else, it has re-boosted my self-esteem that there is still hope for me. But what I am most excited about is that she is the one agent I actually felt good about, and was familiar with because I listened to her speak at the writers conference (the rest of the agents were just picked off a list I researched). Also, this is based on the first ten pages that the "free editing" lady tore apart! I was lamenting for the last couple days because I received her discouraging feedback within minutes of sending my original work to Laura Rennert, and felt like I didn't stand a chance with her. But apparently that is not true.
Well... Here's to round #2! It might take a few weeks to hear back, but I'm excited to keep trying!
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
4 comments:
YAY!! I am so proud of you! Keep trying! We love you!
Yay! We'll be sending good luck vibes your way =)
wow Ere! I had no idea the process was this brutal. Hang in there yeah??! tear it up! love ya
You can do this.I have not doubt.
Post a Comment