Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New Jersey

Dan and I rented a car and drove about 8 hours from North Carolina to New Jersey to visit with the Couillens! Nicole and Renaud are in the process of moving into a new house. We spent the first day helping them put their belongings in storage. Then the real adventures began:

THE BEACH
So we finally made it to the Jersey shore! We went to a more family-friend  beach, so fortunately, we didn't run into any of those idiotic "Jersey Shore" guidos ( as Dan calls them). There was a tropical storm coming so the waves were huge! Granted, coming from Thailand where you can barely count them as waves, I'm probably easily impressed. But truly - this day was unbelievable! Pictures don't quite do it justice.


Here's Renaud dragging Milan into the water. She was too scared to go near it! Her dad is not too sympathetic to fear though. It even took me a while to gather up the courage to fave the waves. The lifeguards on duty were super strict. We were supposed to only wade up to our knees because of how dangerous they believed it to be. But at the day wore on, they allowed us to go as far as the second or third wave. But seriously... the next pictures are taken at the edge of the water. The waves were ginormous and when they broke, the bubbly froth swept us away!


The only way not to die was to dive underneath them. Otherwise, it was like taking a fist to the stomach, while being plowed over at the same time! I think we all were pummeled into the sand at least once. I had road-rash on my back from one incident, and Renaud somersaulted in the water and hit his head pretty badly. I'm pretty sure I sucked five years out of my swimsuit from being steam-rolled into the sand.



I loved watching Renaud. He's fearless and loves to have fun. He's one of the hardest, most efficient people I know, but one of my most favorite people to vacation with.


"Oh, Milan... run!" But instead of rescuing her from the wall of rushing water, I took a picture instead.

Chloe was very brave and was the one coaxing me to go further! She and I buddied up because every time we both went under, I'd pop my head up and frantically make sure her head surfaced, as well. I seriously felt like I was being swallowed! Chloe was also very good at warning me: Often times, I'd duck under a wave, but right as I was coming up for breath, a second huge wave would crash right on top of me. Chloe always made a pointed effort to scream, so that when I didn't have time to wipe the water from my eyes, I'd hear her high siren and take the quickest, short breath; saving me!

Enzo didn't care about being tossed around. He threw himself into the breaking waves every time. That, and initiating seaweed-bomb wars.



Nicole did get in the water, but mostly, she enjoyed relaxing with her reading material up on the shore.

Milan, Enzo, and Chloe giving Dan plastic surgery. 

 The finished product. Improvement, no? 

CAMPING IN "HIGH POINT"


Dan and I promised the kids, back in February during our last visit, that we would take them camping. There was 30% chance of thunderstorms the entire time we were there, so we considered not going -- especially me! But after all the begging and pleading, we knew it'd break their hearts if we didn't.

Dan and I were so happy we took them. They were well-behaved, for the most part, and they were fascinated with every bug, critter, and plant they could get their hands on.... from moths to fish, frogs, the gooey under-side of lily pads, and the enormous snapping turtle Enzo hooked a few times...

 Dan and I often sat back and just watched them play together, thinking about how cute they are. They may fight each other off at home, usually with Chloe and Milan side-by-side against their "mean older brother"; but out in nature, they took care of each other and always made sure to include everyone on their latest find. Watching Enzo made me all sentimental, reminding me of my brother Ryan, and how he played with Jen and I. Sometimes we'd fight and us girls rallied against him, but when all was said and done, it was obvious we loved each other and enjoyed vacationing and making memories. Just like with all my siblings. 


 Off of this little beaver dam is where Enzo found a ~40lb snapping turtle that would have bit our fingers off! He kept hooking it, but it kept snapping off the line after they played tug-of-war. Speaking of that icky lake water, the kids begged me to accompany them on the beaver dam; which meant trudging through the suspicious undergrowth. It wasn't very deep to walk through the marsh, but I hate when I can't see what's beneath me, especially when its seeping between my toes and squishing beneath my sandals. They kept asking me what I was afraid of - and this is AFTER they'd found the crazy old turtle. I told them I didn't want my toes mistaken for sausage bait! But I did it; cringing, laughingly complaining, and hating all ten steps through the murkiness. But I did it because I love them. Dan made sure to emphasize that point to them because he knows I hate bugs, critters, and mysterious looking lake water!

 Our little fisherman caught two fish at once!

 Dan prides himself on his tin-foil-dinners. They were pretty tender, flavorful, and scrumptious!

 So cute how they're holding hands... and couldn't help tagging along after their older brother.

 The top of the lake and its surroundings were very beautiful though.




 Enzo doesn't have to pee. He's just protecting himself from the CHEESE-TOUCH. Oh, that obnoxious cheese-touch... I guess they adopted it from Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Someone has the "cheese-touch" and it can be passed on to anyone who does not have a body part crossed. Like a disease, it started off in the Couillens home, and Nicole happily made sure to pass it on to one of her kids before we went camping! It's hilarious, and despite it annoyance, sort of addicting. The cheese-touch emerges when everyone forgets and lets their guard down. Then it's a made rush of screaming and quickly crossed fingers and ankles!
We all played it the night before we went camping, when everyone was getting ready for bed. We laughed so hard - especially when Renaud went up to say good-night to the kids, then came down the stairs holding Milan and covering her mouth as he hurried towards me. Having already forgotten, I was like, "What in the world..." CHEESE-TOUCH! Renaud passed it on with laughter, finally releasing Milan, who is notorious for warning EVERYBODY about the cheese-touch.
Dan and I are hoping to leave the cheese-touch behind when we return to Utah today. Let's hope...

 Mass-chaos ignited on the ride home. The kids started making a low, unanimous noise with their mouths... So Dan and I beat them to it, and started hollering at the top of our lungs! The kids joined in, stepping the pitchiness up a notch. Oh, wow...
 And then Dan started making this awful face and noise that reminded me of Dumb and Dumber: "Want to hear the most annoying sound in the world?"
Holy cow. Get me outta here!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!

Post a Comment