Thursday, September 23, 2010

Two Manuscripts Out!

I don't why, but a week and a half ago I started feverishly working on Ty's story, like I couldn't stop. I mean, of course, I didn't write 24 hours a day, but when I sat down with my laptop, hours followed at a time where I just couldn't get up and do anything else. I didn't want to lose my train of thought.

 Last week I finished the first 25 pages, which then lead into my blog entries. After the blog entries, the final part of the book will sort of be a "summarizing" of my experiences: the things I learned about the Atonement, friendships, the process of grief and healing... With my partial manuscript out of the way, I spent another morning working on the book proposal--which breaks down the book into details of what the idea is, how its formatted, how it's marketable, etc. It's only a few pages, but it came to me much easier than I imagined it would. The book Dan bought me last Christmas, "The IDIOT'S Guide to Getting Published" has been very helpful.

Yesterday, I whipped out a query letter within an hour. I feel like all the practice I had with writing my Young Adult fiction query has truly prepared me to understand the format, expectations, what sounds good, etc. I spent weeks on that one, but somehow, this one seemed easier. I had my Dad read it for grammar, as well as the book proposal, and then... maybe it was a little impulsive but I immediately sent it: The query, book proposal, and first half of my manuscript to Kirk Shaw, a senior editor at Covenant Communications. I met him at the writer's conference last April when I pitched my Young Adult fiction to him. I didn't really think he would be interested because my fiction work is not LDS-based, but he asked for the whole manuscript. However, by June I retracted my manuscript, feeling that it wasn't the right place for my novel. I did mention that I might write a book about my son, and he wrote back, encouraging me to do so.

So that's where I'm at. Kirk Shaw and his team will be reviewing my proposal and if it's what they're looking for, I guess I'll hear back in... a month? I don't actually know. Dang waiting game! Anyway, I believe Covenant may have published a couple books similar in theme so if they're not interested, there are plenty of other places to look. But for now, I'll let them look at the idea exclusively.

As for my YA novel, there is one place that requested the manuscript. That market is so competitive that it will probably take a couple months before they even have time to look at it. I'm not expectant that anything will come of it, but I'm glad someone will be looking at it--which at least gave me enough peace of mind to work on Ty's book, which I have entitled, "Taumafai".

Ok, I need to get some food!

6 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

I love it, I love it!! This is super exciting, and I love the tittle. Way to go girl!! I'm so proud of you!

jenny Koop said...

You are awesome!! WE need to meet up soon!!!

Hoenes Family said...

Wow, that was super fast! It must be meant to be in someone's hands and soon! Can't wait to hear the outcome.

Ellen said...

YAY!! I can't wait for it to be published! It totally is going to be. I never told you, but from when I first heard your sad news, I totally pictured you doing motivational speaking to large groups of people! I really think this is going to happen!! LOVE YOU!

k.young said...

I am so excited for you! I can't wait to buy your book! :)

Pawranee said...

I'm so proud of you! You have such a gift of the written word, and I know that your books, both of them, will be published. There's no doubt in my mind! :) You know how hindsight is 20/20? Perhaps the publishing book from Dan and your YA novel were all meant in preparation for this most important of your "works", Taumafai. It is beautiful and amazing how things in life seem so singular but when pieced together, bring together this amazing story. I can't wait for the end of THIS story! Love you! Pawn

Post a Comment