Dan accompanied me to our baby's first appointment. During the first thirty seconds of the ultrasound, Dan and I both seemed to be holding our breath, afraid that maybe they wouldn't find the heartbeat. The technician first commented, "That's a tiny baby". We waited to detect the heart-beat, those few moments excruciating as we both thought, "Tiny because it hasn't developed??" But when the rhythm popped up on the screen, and the quick pace of our baby's beating heart sounded throughout the room, we both smiled with sheer relief...and cried a little while holding hands. The technician was so sweet to us and I couldn't help but give her a hug to convey the happiness we felt in seeing and hearing our baby, alive and well.
While the date of my last period (Aug. 8) would technically place my due date on May 16th, the ultrasound shows that really I'm only seven weeks and four days along, which puts a more accurate due date of May 20th. I'm not surprised because I knew I had to have ovulated later than most women. So I'll only be 8 weeks by Friday! A part of me just wants to rush through this year as fast as I can and get to the "good stuff!" That makes me laugh, thinking about how I often treat my meals in the same fashion: hurry through the vegetables and not-so-yummy health foods to enjoy the fattening main course! (Ok, maybe that's not the best analogy...)
Anyway, I don't want to treat this year like it doesn't matter. I want to do as much as I can to be productive and fulfilled. The timing of baby's arrival is perfect (although I would be happy if he or she arrived a couple weeks early!) Dan graduates in April, we'll have the baby end of May, which still allows Dan plenty of time to study for the bar on July 25th, and then we move to Las Vegas in August. Lots to look forward to next year!
As for this year, the fall is going to go by pretty quickly. I'm spending a week in Hawaii, for one thing, courtesy of Pawnee and Thomas! They made plans months ago to take the Ortho-Practice to Hawaii for this Continuing Education Unit course. One of the employees bailed out, so with a ticket and room already paid for, who else has as much unstructured time as I do right now?? Just when I had thought about getting another part-time job... oh well! I'll spend money instead! Haha... I'm very grateful for Pawn and Thomas for considering me, and can't wait to spend a whole week with them in Hawaii, especially with this crummy rainy weather here in Utah.
Then there's Arizona for Thanksgiving, and New Zealand for Christmas! I feel very blessed with so many things in my life. Lots of happy times ahead.
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
7 comments:
Yeah! Lots of fun things to look forward to. Glad everything is going well!
I'm so excited!!! I'm glad the appointment turned out well. Love you!
Wow, New Zeland for Christmas!! How fun!! I want to hear more about that. Anyone else going besides you and Dan?
Yea, the ultrasound technicians aren't too smart some times. I had one (later on in pregnancy) where the dude told me that my baby was tiny. I didn't just take it lying down. :) I began to question him and lecture him that you don't tell a mom that, unless there is a problem. It puts doubts and fears into your head. But I am glad that you were able to hear the heartbeat. Those are some of the tender moments in life. To hear that little heart beat, feel that miracle growing inside of you. I am so happy for you and Dan.
Did you know that there is a Christmas song of Christmas in New Zealand. The 4th graders sang it last year for the Christmas program. I will have to find out what it is, so you guys can listen to it and get excited for your upcoming vacation! :)
It sure was good talking to you yesterday. I love you and miss you. Enjoy the beaches with Pawnee, while her husband is in classes! :D
How wonderful life is for you at this time. I can almost feel what you express...the heartbeat, the thrill in hearing and knowing the baby is there, and the desire to rush it along to hold him/her...that newness and life! I am so happy for you guys! SOOOOO HAPPY!!!
I am so glad things are going so well. When you get back from your trip and I am adjusted to my new life, we need to get together again!!
So fun you get to go to Hawaii! I am so jealous! You totally deserve a nice relaxing trip!!!! That is great that you got to see and hear the baby. What a wonderful thing.
Post a Comment