Sunday, October 17, 2010

Polynesian Cultural Center (PCC)

Our visit to the PCC was by far the most satisfying, amazing day! Our group of 12 (Pawnee, Thomas, and I, plus the Ortho employees) were given a guided tour through the center. Our tour guide was less than impressive with her young, indecisive speech and nervous behavior--but you don't need a great tour guide to have a fabulous time. There's just too much to see and take in!

The first thing we watched was dancing on the river from the 6 featured Polynesian islands. The only one I didn't get a picture of was Hawaii.



(New Zealand)


Coconut Show
This guy was hilarious! He's this big, tough Samoan guy but in his comedic act he would act a little soft and femme with his word choice, but then be flexing and pure muscle in the next minute! Very hard to explain...you just need to go watch it yourself.

 First, he showed us how to make fire the traditional island way. He rubbed a stick into the notch of a dry log until smoke became visible. Then he laid the coconut husk (the hairy-looking stuff) onto the smoke and blew on it so it caught fire.


Then he showed us how to open a coconut by spearing it multiple times on top of a pointed piece of wood. He tore that hard-shelled coconut open in five moves or less!

This small coconut is what's actually inside the big shell. He hacked it open with a machete and let someone drink the coconut water. Once it was drained, he shucked the inside of the coconut against a piece of rectangular metal to scrape all the white "meat" out. Then the most unbelievable part happened: He gathered all the shredded coconut meat into the husk, twisted...

 ...and all this milk came out! He was able to twist the husk a few times, like ringing out a rag, before all the milk came out. I was so blown away!

 Oh, he's just climbing a coconut tree. No biggie.

His only resource he used is some kind of natural rope around his feet. 

 Afterwards, we took a ride in a river boat to catch the scenery. If I had to cut one activity, it would probably be this one, despite the beautiful plants we saw.

Before the big show that evening, we had some time to rotate through the villages. Unfortunately, we didn't make it through all of them, but here's Tonga's demonstration of the drums. The Tongan asked for three volunteers, each required to mimic the complicated rhythm of his drum, followed by a ferocious yell. This guy from Poland was hilarious and really put himself out there! He definitely set the standard because then the volunteer from Washington had to do his best to show him up (pausing part way through to start his own rendition of "WHO LET DA DOGS OUT?? WHO!" before the Tongan jokingly kicked him off stage for stealing his show!) The final volunteer was a Japanese guy...who really kind of lacked in the ferocity-department, but was a really good sport at trying!

In "New Zealand" some Maoris performed the Hakka, and so did someone's little boy! Oh, he was adorable!

 These women are dancing with poi balls--not to be confused with Poi, the pasty Hawaiian food made from taro that I was really not crazy about at the Luau! Bleck.

 Fijian temple from back in the day... under construction still, I think.

HA: "Breath of Life"
The evening show was, of course, the highlight of the PCC. Even if I weren't able to walk around the center, I would have been satisfied just watching the show because it truly was a culmination of the most amazing cultural dancing and singing.

 It started off with the narration of a man and woman who fall in love and have a baby boy, who they name MANOA. The story continues with Manoa's growth from a toddler to an adult, and the various life experiences he goes through, such as falling in love and having to prove himself to the other men. The storyline incorporated all the six islands unique cultures.

 One of the many versions of the Hakka--a war dance intended to intimidate its enemies.


 Here's Manoa proving himself with fire.

 They did this crazy thing where, after literally playing with the fire, they each jumped onto the flames one after the other to smother it.

 YOUCH, is all I have to say.

 But Manoa wins over his woman, who agrees to marry him.

 I love the Tahitian dancers! They are my absolute favorite to watch. The fast, rhythmic drums are so exhilarating, and I love how their hips swing and sway to the beat.


 (Pawnee can do this dance! She's amazing, too!)


Beautiful bride and groom

 But then tragedy strikes. An enemy tribe attacks and kills Manoa's father, the original main character of the story. As his wife wailed and his son grieved over his dead body, it was rather emotional!

 But what I absolutely loved was how the lighting brightened, and the music slowed and softened...while the family grieved the loss of their father and husband, he is clothed in a white robe and is seen reuniting with family and friends on the other side. It was such a beautiful, spiritual experience. If only we could always remember to have this perspective.

 But life continued on..lightening the mood with a spectacular fire dance.



 The story ends with Mano's wife conceiving and delivering a child, giving him the "breath of life", and life goes on... It really had the Lion King's "circle of life" feel to it and I loved it!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Looks AWESOME!!

Pawranee said...

We LOVED having you there with us! Lots of fun memories, yummy food, good shopping! :) And, uh, thanks for the Tahitian "shaking" plug...it's so fun! Love you!

The Hickman Family said...

I've had the opportunity to go to the Polynesian Cultural Center twice and absolutely loved it both times. It's funny, because I haven't been in a few years, but by reading your narrative I can tell it hasn't changed! I really, really enjoyed the night show too.

Post a Comment