Dan's favorite phrase every year is, "It's my birthday week!"--which he thinks means he gets whatever he wants for 7 days. That is not the case! But he did get two parties this year. On Halloween, the day of his real birthday, we had a family dinner to celebrate. I've recently discovered how to make a version of Olive Garden's "Zuppa Tuscana", which Dan absolutely loves so I knew that soup would be involved. I also attempted Rhodes rolls topped with butter, Parmesan and parsley (which Emily actually finished making for us since I was running late), and the main dish: Chicken with basil cream sauce over rice. Everything turned out really well so I was happy!
As for dessert...
Chocolate Mice, Witches Fingers (which I called "Ogre Fingers" because I was too lazy to roll the dough thinner), and Home-made Oreos--the oreos were really the only appetizing treat!
Emily dared to take a bite of the fingers though... and so did my dad.
They're basically short-bread/sugar cookies, so less harmful than they look.
As for the mice... we're pretending to eat them here but really, no one could stomach the idea of chomping into them--especially when my dad used this "perfect timing" to talk about how, as a missionary in Thailand, he ended up agreeing to eat RAT. (Still learning Thai, he thought they said SNAKE, which sounds very similar to the word "rat". Uuuggh...)
In actuality, these mice were fudge with almond ears and licorice tails, which sounds Ok, but now I still have a plate of the little rodents sitting on my counter that will probably end up in the trash. It's not a good time in my life to be experimenting with what I can stomach.
Dan's new pair of sweat-pants! Since Dan's first year of law school, he has worn these blue fleece sweats that I never would have bought for him, had I known he would wear them all week long during every finals week! His peers have teased and scolded him endlessly for their unflattering, grungy appearance! He has promised to burn the blue fleece ones when they graduate. I'm sure it's going to be a very momentous occasion. So Dan liked these new grey ones...and proceeded to wear them to school the next day! His friends called me an enabler.
Dan's real gift was Halo Reach for his XBox 360. I don't mind buying Dan games once in a while because he rarely buys them for himself, and oddly enough (and fortunate for me!) usually only plays with other people. He's definitely not a gamer-junkie, which I'm so grateful for!
Ry and Em bought Dan this beautiful tie in preparation for his upcoming lawyer attire! I hardly ever buy him ties so we both really liked it, and Emily really knows how to help Ryan look all snazzy in ties and dress-shirts so I'm excited to find a great shirt to match!(I'm sure Dan can't wait to go shopping, too.) Maybe Dan will go shopping with me when we use the Applebees gift card from my dad! Thanks guys!
Sweet Addie! Before everyone arrived, I was still in the kitchen when I heard the doorbell ring. Dan opened the door and all I could hear was instant laughter. Then he walked over to me, holding Addie in THE most adorable, pudgy purple butterfly costume! Apparently, Ry and Em had left Addie sitting in front of the doorstep, like the cutest door-bell-ditching present ever. I'll have to get pictures from Emily later. They had a formal shoot the next day so I can't wait to see how those turned out.
What I Love About Dan (in no particular order)
1. The child-like grin on his face when he opens a gift he's excited about.
2. How he sleeps with one foot sticking out of the covers ALL THE TIME--and how he sprawls diagonally across the mattress the moment I get out of bed for the day.
3. How hard he works at law school and to provide for us.
4. How dependable he is in everything he commits to.
5. How he wrote me an email last night while I lay sick in bed, and which I did not discover until this morning with the following message: "Hey, Baby: First, I know you like getting emails, so I thought this might work. Second, I just wanted to tell you how much I love and respect you for the courageous way you are fighting on through this pregnancy. No complaints, just a regular old trooper. Anyway, I love you tons."
6. How, with some pleading on my part, he lets me warm my constantly freezing toes on his legs when we first get into bed.
7. The help he frequently provides when I'm running recreation therapy groups.
8. All the cheesy nick-names that have transpired between us, even though when we were dating, we swore we'd never be "that couple"!
9. How he shares his restaurant meals with me, even when he doesn't care for a bite of mine.
10. He's just so handsome.
11. He knows how to work so diligently, but just as importantly, he knows how to relax and spend time with me.
12.He finally cured me of my fear of marriage years ago by the time he proposed. I know he's not going anywhere but staying by my side.
13. He gave me Bubs.
14. He's such a loving father and will continue to show his love to each of his children. What I love about watching Ty's video is seeing how much Dan played with Ty--loving, holding, kissing, tickling him... I can't wait to see him this way again.
15. I love how at the cemetary on Ty's birthday, a father came to visit his twins who were born and died at twenty weeks. After speaking to him, Dan brought over one of our many vases of flowers and placed it on their headstone.
16. He will never pass by someone who is hungry and asking for food without bringing them a warm meal, and perhaps taking the time to sit and chat with them.
17. I could not have survived these past 8 months without him.
So much more I can say, and the list can go on forever. Basically, I just love you, Dan! Thanks for all the happy times.
3 comments:
Those Halloween treats turned out awesome! I wouldn't have been able to eat them either. I have a hard time eating food when it doesn't look right. Purple ketchup, green milk (made green with food coloring, of course!). I just can't do it!
happy birthday to a fellow halloween baby! i would have snarfed those treats, no matter what they looked like! by the way, have you tried ben and jerry's chubby hubby? if they still make it, it's really yummy!!
Okay, not too be self-centered but that picture of me is really unattractive, and by really unattractive I mean seriously u-g-l-y!!!
Post a Comment