Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Zealand: PART II


Missing Ty
Throughout the trip, and especially during the first few days, I was very emotional about Ty from the moment we stepped on the plane. The first time Ty traveled on a plane, he was 4 months and I was flying with him alone to meet Dan in New Jersey. He was such a gem! He barely made a peep on the plane. I remember I had two empty seats next to me and at the time, I didn’t realize those vacant seats were probably intentional with people passing me by when they saw me holding a baby. But by the time the flight landed, people were leaning over and saying, “What an angel he is!” At the time, none of us had any real idea just how true that statement was.

On the beach in New Zealand, I watched Dan play with the kids. He’s such a fun uncle! But I was also a little envious. We bought three tickets to New Zealand only a week before Ty passed away. The image of him as a toddler holding my hand as he teetered along the sand and touched the chilly water were how I imagined our trip would be as a family. I can see Ty in my mind of how he might look and it kills me that I can’t physically hold him. On that first day, I cried with Dan as we walked away from the empty beach. On the long van ride to church the next day, Dan caught my eye in the rear view mirror and mouthed, “Are you thinking about Ty?” I nodded, throwing my gaze out the window again and taking in the beauty to distract my emotions from spilling over again. Dan always seems to know when Ty’s on my mind. When I asked him about that, he said, “You have a face you make, like you’re deep in thought. It’s very sweet.” If that's the case, I must have made that face a lot during our trip.

Next to our bed, we put up a picture of Ty, with his white teddy-blankie beside the photo, just like we have it set up back in Utah. It felt a little more like home and like he was there with us.

My 28th Birthday
On Christmas Eve, Dan took me sea kayaking at Cathedral Cove. We invited Thomas to come with us because he loves all these outdoor adventures. He's a fun one to vacation with!

Despite throwing up after the long drive through the most curvy roads, (I do not miss morning-sickness)the trip was awesome! It was sunny and clear when we arrived but clouded over when we began rowing. We decided it was a good thing because kayaking is a workout and warmed us up pretty quickly!

 After rowing around these amazing little islands and learning about their history, we banked on this little cove for a hot chocolate and biscuits break. This rock is the most photographed rock in New Zealand, and used to be an arch connected to the cove back in the 1700's.

 We weren't supposed to walk through this little cave because of rock-fall danger. But we still did. It tunnels over to another beautiful beach. Besides, I had to find a place to do my business, so we hiked on top of this hill and discreetly marked my spot for all of history. (He he)




There was so much I didn't take pictures of, for fear of dropping my camera in the water. I wish I could have taken a picture of "lover's cave". We kayaked inside this cave where there is a small amount of beach for a little "privacy" (minus intrusion of tourists). Pretty cool inside. Thomas and Dan also went snorkeling in this area called Gem Stone Bay, where they saw ginormous sting-ray, and scary clusters of squid and jelly-fish among the kelp forest! I would have drowned with fright, but they couldn't stop talking about how stunning (and freezing) it all was. I was happy just to kayak safely through  it. I'm terrified of the ocean!

 These kayaks were as cozy as kayaks could get, with nice back and leg support, and even these nifty water-proof "skirts" that tucked around the hole in the kayak to prevent water from leaking in. We flew so smoothly across the water! Thanks for the wonderful start to my birthday, Dan!

 Dinner at a steak and seafood restaurant called, Shells. Yummy!

 With a little dessert, of course. (I wish I could have done something cute with my hair but without a straightner, short hair and humidity are not a good combo!)

 Dan bought me two sets of solitaire earrings: Blue Topaz for my birth stone, and emerald because it's my favorite gem stone. He was cute and shy about giving them to me because he rarely buys me jewelry. They are beautiful, and he was so sweet about it.

 Me with my beer-gut (AKA Prego-belly in the making) with my birthday cheesecake. Hope my wish comes true!

 Then we enjoyed hot chocolate and Sees Candy while Pawnee read us Christmas stories.

 Rachel

 Shelbi

Christian

As you can see, Thomas was really into the story. = )
But it was a wonderful evening to spend together remembering the birth of Christ and all He has done for us.

Christmas Morning

 Santa came! Then we promptly picked our own Christmas tree in the yard, re-hung our stockings and set up the gifts to celebrate Christmas outdoors. It was pretty sweet.




 Now this was hilarious. I opened one gift form Maile, and then one from Rachel, and they were the exact same ring! They hadn't talked about what they were buying for me when shopping at the school Christmas shop. Talk about twins thinking alike! And did you check out the carat size on those things? Hence, my ecstatic reaction! I couldn't help but lovingly tease Dan about my new rings.

 Papa Rock and the Shipley grand kids

 Rachel and Maile bought Dan this arrowhead necklace, which actually looks really good on him.

Merry Christmas! -- the photogenic morning picture everyone absolutely loves to look back on...

Hot-Water Beach
We spent Christmas afternoon at Hot-Water Beach, whose name derives from the warm pools created by the geothermal rocks. When the tide recedes, it leaves space for people to dig holes and create their own shallow hot tub! Dan's friendly nature allowed us to share a spot with this nice Japanese family, who pretty much let us take over the hole. It was the best spot! Not too hot (except for one scalding spot!) and not too cold. Like in Goldilocks, it was "juuust right!"




 We were so happy Pawnee could come with us this day. If you haven't noticed, she hasn't been in as many of the pictures because she ran into some awful luck! On the very night we arrived at our beach house, Pawnee hurt her foot about ten steps from the main house. It was dark and rainy when she was carrying Shelbilyn down a couple steps towards the guest house. She slipped and twisted her ankle. What started off as a sore injury evolved into this demon of an infection! Her foot swelled so painfully that she could barely touch it, let alone put any weight on it. After a couple days of waiting it out...and then a couple unsuccessful days of amoxicillin.. we took her to the hospital where they gave her an IV with much stronger antibiotics. They sent her home with an IV line and nurses stopped by the beach house during the next two days to finish off the dosage. It did help but poor Pawn!  I think she was able to enjoy the last couple days at least.

While our beach held very few people throughout our visit, on Christmas day, this was the happenin' this! Strangest but most relaxing (and WARM) way to spend Christmas -- ever!

Good-Bye Coromandel

On the final day of our departure, we spent lunch at a place we lovingly called, "Sunset Beach". It was the perfect location for the late afternoon/early evening when the beach house became a little warm and muggy. There was a clean, empty beach just below a grassy stretch of land with beautiful trees and the best view of the sunset. It was so peaceful!

 Dan and Thomas were obsessed with Fish 'n Chips, both having eaten them a ton on their mission. It's the one fish Dan will devour. They seriously bought that greasy meal every other day! That, and a spectacular soda called Lemon & Paerora (sort of lemony ginger ale. Mm!). It was our last meal shared together in New Zealand.


There one minute...literally gone the next! Scrumptious.

We were all sad to leave beautiful Pauanui, knowing it will be many years before we return...if ever. But at least we took tons of pictures and shared wonderful memories. We love you, Pauanui! And thanks to Dan for his incredible efforts of research and planning to make it happen. You're the best, Baby!

3 comments:

Derek and Nancy said...

Sounds like such a fantastic time! I admire you for doing all of that while pregnant. You are going to have such great stories to tell your new little one! My oldest brother served in Auckland, and I've always wanted to go!

Danae Curtis said...

Wow, those pictures are amazing and I'm so glad you guys had such a wonderful time. I loved reading about your trip!

Karmen said...

I love how Dan always seems to be eating! I'm so glad you guys had a great trip. It looks like you had SO much fun!

Post a Comment