Visiting Pawnee and Ethan at the Hospital
The kids could not wait to meet their little brother! And they sure missed their mom for the four-five days she was at the hospital.
Here they are, peeking into the nursery. The hallway was instantly filled with, "Oh, he's so cute!!"
Lots and lots of love for Mommy!
Pawnee was so happy to finally have a visit with her kids after three and a half days without them.
Khun Yai and Christian
Ethan Comes Home!
I think it was Saturday morning that Ethan tore out his IV and all his tubes. The nurses had to repeatedly poke him to try and get the IV back in but for some reason, they just couldn't get the needle right. Poor Ethan. That must have felt miserable! However, this turned out to be a huge blessing because they decided to give Ethan a break, which allowed Pawnee to hold him and nurse him. With all the love, touch, and breast milk, Ethan's recovery amazed us all! What was anticipated to take seven more days of being hooked up to tubes and an IV suddenly surprised us with Ethan's return home on Monday night. I will always be a firm believer in breast milk and the power of skin-to-skin cuddling between mother and baby.
At home, everybody wanted to hold Ethan as much as possible. It was a little tricky for Pawnee to share Ethan with all four of the kids while she also had to nurse him or change him (with what seemed like an all day, never-ending thing!) The kids took what they could get and loved every minute.
I love this little face!
Shelbi was fascinated with the concept of breastfeeding and wanted to give it a try! She's so hilarious.
I definitely stole more than my share of baby love! My mom, knowing she still has three weeks with him, was kind enough to keep handing him off to me as much as possible. I am so grateful for the day-and-a-half I could have with Ethan at home. We were all praying hard! I was proud of the tag-team effort my mom and I accomplished in taking care of the kids while Pawn and Thomas were away. But it added a little bonus reward to be able to spend time with them at home, too.
For selfish reasons, I really needed Ethan home for my own needs, too. I wanted to remember what it's like to hold a fragile newborn in my arms--to feel the love and sweet spirit . . . as well as some of the fear I knew I would feel. The fear didn't hit me hard until last night. I had Ethan all swaddled in the Miracle Blanket I bought for Pawn (which I kept practing on with Ethan for fun!). I was talking to Dan on the phone while carrying Ethan in my arms, and after a few minutes I noticed Ethan's eyes roll back to the whites of his eyes. My heart stopped. My first instinct was to drop the phone and hand him over to someone else--anyone else but me. As my footsteps hurried into the next room, my thoughts raced: "Oh, no, I was squeezing him too tightly. He can't breathe!"
I nudged Ethan until he woke up seconds later, letting out the hugest sigh of relief as I walked into the room where Pawnee, Thomas, and my mom were talking. I didn't tell them until later how scared I had felt. But it was helpful to talk to them about it and be honest with my emotions, and the fact that I will have to deal with this. Every mom does to an extent. The image was just extra triggering to a deeply embedded horror I wish I could permanently dig up and throw away.
Despite that incident, or waking up a couple times last night wanting to jump out of bed and check on him, it was a really great experience to be with my nephew. I can't get over how cute he is. Pawn and Thomas sure do produce beautiful babes! More than the fear, I'm super excited and anxious in a happy way to meet my own baby and to play the role of motherhood again.
After taking care of four children, even with my mom's help, I was reminded how exhausting it is! I'm amazed that Pawnee does this every day, and that my mom did this very thing years ago and still kicks butt helping out her grown-up kids. It was beautiful watching Pawnee nurse and to see the initial pain when Ethan latched on, to then see her expression transfer into adoration as he fed.
It's all those things that I can't wait to have at my fingertips again. Three more months!
4 comments:
I just LOVE that Shelbi is nursing the baby! That is too cute! And Erica, I know there will be lots of fears to overcome in the next while. But the best thing for you is to talk them through. You know that you are a wonderful mother! You will not hurt your baby. You will be just fine. But you might need others to help reassure you, until you can believe that for yourself. I love the pictures of you with the baby. There is such a deep love and adoration in your face. You are a beautiful person and a beautiful mom! I can't wait for your sweet little angel to come. 3 months will be here before you know it! Love you!
He is really cute.
I can't wait for your baby to get here. You are a great mom.
Those pictures of Pawnee and her kids are so sweet. It made me want to cry just seeing how much love those kids have for their mom. Such a sweet thing. Ethan is beautiful, and you look so happy!
No one is better fit to care for a baby than it's own mother. You saw that with Pawnee and Ethan. You will do a fantastic job, no need to fear.
That picture of Shelbi nursing her brother is hilarious!!
Oh he is SOOOOO adorable!! I'm glad he got to come home so soon and that you were able to hold and love him! :)
Post a Comment