8lbs, 6oz, 20 1/2 inches long, born February 17, 2011
What a handsome little boy!
Pawnee and Thomas waited the whole nine months to find out the gender of their fifth and last baby. Now that's patience beyond anything I would be able to do! The C-Section seemed to go well enough, though the doctor had to keep increasing the pain meds because off and on Pawnee would say, "Oh, I can kind of feel that!" Mostly, she was pretty loopy throughout the surgery, even falling asleep and snoring for moments here and there!
Thomas recorded the birth and it was absolutely amazing and gruesome to watch! I can't believe Pawnee has endured this three times now. The doctor pulled Ethan out and let Thomas be the first to distinguish the gender. Pawn said Ethan gave the loudest cry she's ever heard from her kids!
It was even more thrilling to go and visit. When we came into the room, Ethan was tuckered out and smashed cozily against his Mama's chest, where he'd been for a few hours. I felt bad to take him away but Pawn offered to let us hold him, and selfishly, I was dying to! It was only a few minutes before I was completely bawling. There is absolutely nothing like holding a newborn. I loved his soft, smooth skin and his naked little body, except for the tiny diaper around him. He's a sturdy boy!
Thomas was trying to catch up on his zero-night's sleep, also.
A couple x-rays showed tons of fluid in his lungs. They began treating him for pneumonia at first, giving him an IV, oxygen, and a tiny tube down his throat for something I can't remember. Yesterday, one of the doctor's said he seemed to have CRP -- something else I need to research to better understand, but basically, some kind of infection or inflammation. Whatever the name of it, poor Ethan is estimated to be in the NICU for another seven days. The doctor's are optimistic that he will beat it and it doesn't seem life-threatening at this point. But everyone at the hospital is baffled as to why he is sick.
Pawnee is trying to heal but, of course, she is so heart-broken at not being able to take her baby home. She wasn't even able to hold him again until last night at 6 pm. We went up for a visit and he was screaming and so distraught. The nurses handed him over to Pawnee, and literally in moments, he calmed right down and fell peacefully asleep. It was such a tender experience to witness between Mama and baby. He knew exactly what he needed for comfort, and knew the exact moment when he received it. There was so much love in Pawnee's eyes for her son, it made me want to cry right along with her.
We love you, Ethan, and hope you get better soon!
6 comments:
Thanks for the updates and posting all of these pictures! He is adorable!!!
He is so cute! I hope he is doing better soon and gets to go home with his family!
What a sweet little baby! ....Poor little Ethan, and poor Pawnee! That breaks my heart that the two have to be separated. I hope he gets better fast.
Oh no!! We will keep them in our prayers for sure. I am so glad you are able to be there for Pawnee and Thomas.
What a handsome little guy! I sure hope he gets better soon. That must be so hard on Pawnee not to get to take him home. Hopefully it will be not time at all before he's in her arms again =)
Bringing a new baby into the world is so emotional. i was having to fight back tears just reading the post! I am so glad he is doing better!
Post a Comment