Thursday, February 3, 2011

Dan's Interview

Dan received a call a couple weeks ago from a college reporter who works for KBYU. He told Dan he remembered how last year, the BYU rugby team dedicated their Colorado game to Ty that took place during his funeral. He remembered how the rugby team greeted us at the chapel that cold, rainy day and powerfully sang, "Ye Elders of Israel" and "Army of Helaman" as we walked into the foyer and prepared to go to the viewing. I will never forget the strength of the Spirit that permeated that building as 25+ rugby players honored us and Ty. 

This reporter asked Dan if KBYU could do a highlight piece on Dan as a former BYU rugby player and of his son, Ty. Of course, Dan was more than pleased to comply. Two of Dan's former coaches, David Smyth and Kimball Kjar were interviewed, as well as our good friend Andrew Harrison who I went to high school with (and who had to add how he's the one that took me to my Senior Prom as a sophomore!) It was touching to hear their take on that somber day and how they will never forget the impact Ty's death had on their lives. When Dan was interviewed, I was not surprised by how eloquently he spoke from the heart and the tender emotions he revealed when talking about how special it was to have Ty honored and respected. I hope the reporter includes how meaningful it is to us that Ty, even though he did not make it to college, was still able to be a part of BYU rugby like his Daddy.

Dan asked me to come watch the interviews. I had a feeling I might be asked to sit for the camera, as well, so I'm glad I put a little more time into my hair and make-up today! I shared my thoughts on the viewing and Dan as a father and how he's changed throughout this process, and a few other things.

The clip can only be 5 minutes long or so, which is nothing compared to how much material the reporter has. I hope most of the clip will be of Dan talking. What a special way to pay tribute to Ty today. The clip will air in three weeks. I'll let you know where and when.

I was uploading pictures of Ty for the interview when I came across this photo:

The adoring look on Dan's face breaks my heart. My chest aches inside, seeing how much love is in Dan's eyes as he gazed at his son. He loved just hanging out with his little Bubs in bed, watching shows together. As you can see, Dan was perfectly content just to look at his boy, too.

 I love this one, too . . .

Just when I start feeling like maybe I've overcome the bulk of the pain, I come across pictures like these and I wither inside. At least it will never hurt as bad as when it all first happened. I have to believe it can only keep getting better from here, whatever "better" means.

With the one year mark coming up, Dan and I have made a choice to celebrate the weekend rather than be depressed. (No guarantees we won't still be depressed but we won't be sitting around, at least) We're both headed to Vegas on March 10th, except he's driving with a few of his law school friends and I'm heading down with some of my favorite ladies: my mom, Emily, and Jamie! We're going to stay in a hotel on the Strip with boys in one room, girls in the other and just try and have some fun, even meeting up with my other sister-in-laws, Megan and Carrie. Even though a small part of me feels like it's a tiny bit disrespectful, I know in my heart Ty would not want us to be moping.

Almost 11 months it's been. Kind of crazy.

6 comments:

Jon and Kim said...

Wow! I guess I missed them singing. What an awesome tribute! I am excited to watch the interview.

Hoenes Family said...

I would love to see the tribute. I hope there is a way to view it on-line because I don't have KBYU here ;( That is such a great thing and perfect timing for a tribute! I am sorry to hear about your cat, that is very sad, but is sounds like you for sure did the right thing.

Carrie said...

Oh wow! I didn't know you guys had that coming up. I can't wait to see it.

I feel like knowing that the one year mark is coming up is going to bring a lot of oppurtunities like this one, to remember and pay tribute to your sweet boy. I have no doubt that you will do it with love and grace. And I know he would want you to be as happy as possible. We love you.

Danae Curtis said...

I can't wait to see the interview! Those pictures are soooo precious, but made my heart ache for you guys. I love reading your blog and feeling the powerful emotions you are experiencing. I can't believe it has almost been a year already. I am so glad you will be going to vegas though to have some fun!

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

What a great way to pay tribute to Ty, both the interview and fun in Las Vegas. I can't wait to see the interview. I think it's great that you are planning to have a day of fun.

Quincy Sorensen said...

What a meaningful opportunity for both of you. I know you welcome every chance to talk about Ty and to let others benefit from learning about him and his short, but perfect, life.

It is just a day, I know, but Kirk and I both found things easier after the one-year mark. I felt lighter, better able to think about other people.

Still, the best healing is yet to come. I am so grateful you have a little girl coming to you soon.

She will whisper peace and love from her big brother to her dear parents. There will be hope and more love than you can imagine now.

You are a beautiful pregnant person, Erica.

Post a Comment