Friday, March 4, 2011

29 Weeks Pregnant

I can't believe I'll only have 10 weeks left by next Friday! Except when I remind myself that it's practically 3 months left, it seems so much longer . . . so we'll just go by weeks.

More Progression Pics

 25 Weeks

26 Weeks
 (Valentine's Date. I wish Dan didn't hate the camera!)

 28 Weeks

I've been hurting less the last couple weeks! The muscle in my right thigh doesn't feel like I've pulled it anymore, and the pubic-bone pain is SO much better. It still feels a little "bruised" after I exercise but nbot quite as bad as it used to. These days I do a bit of the "waddle" mostly because there is always pressure on my bladder!

I feel bigger in this pregnancy but not overly large yet. Looking back at pictures, it's obvious I'm bigger than I was at this stage with Ty's pregnancy, but not by too much. Here are some flashbacks for comparison, since I'm wearing the same shirt, except one week earlier:

 

Week 27 with Ty

At my 28 1/2 week appointment, my fundal height measured at 29cms so I'm about average. I've gained about 21lbs and counting! Every week without fail for the past couple months I've been gaining a pound a week. It's making me nervous! I was lucky to evade stretch marks with my first pregnancy, but I have a feeling I'm going to be much bigger by the end of this one, and continue to rub on my belly cream like crazy! It worked last time, right?? (That, and gaining weight at a slow rate, which I think is more the key to it than anything.) I am also addicted to eating turkey/chicken wraps almost every day (on spinach or sun dried tomato tortillas) and late night snacks on a full bowl of cereal, namely Honey Bunches of Oats. Sooo yummy and irresistible to me these days, and probably the explanation of my weight-gain. = )
So, my doctor was fired. It was a bit of a shock to discover this at my last appointment! All I was told was, "He broke some rules in the office and he's moving to California". Consequently, I have switched providers. Since I am still planning on a natural/unmedicated birth, I've been drawn towards the New Beginnings Midwives clinic. I will still deliver at Orem Community, which is important to me, and I'll have full access to all my hospital needs and a doctor if needed. But with a midwife/nurse practitioner, I'll have constant support from them throughout my labor and can use the jacuzzi tub if I want, and can still get an epidural if I change my mind.

Why am I considering going natural again? I really don't know for sure! With Ty, it all happened within a couple hours and I had no choice in the matter. It was a bit scary and I felt a little out of control for parts of it, except when I was pushing. All I know is that by the end of it, it was the most exhilarating, most proud I've ever been in my life, and it's the memory of that adrenaline that is driving me towards doing it again -- but with preparation this time! It's not about proving something to myself because obviously I've done it. And I have nothing against epidurals and am still curious about that method, as well. But . . . I can't fully explain it. I don't entirely remember the pain, but I do remember the euphoria afterwards. Days and weeks later, I would still sit quietly holding Ty and become lost in that memory of labor with a smile of awe on my face.
I told Dan it must be like when someone who runs marathons tries to explain why they would do that to their body over and over again. What could possibly be the appeal? And yet, they describe this rush of adrenaline and satisfaction that no one can understand unless they are a fellow marathon runner.

To prepare, I am taking four 3-hour hypnobirthing classes every Wednesday in March. I'm not entirely convinced it will be helpful to me, since I've never really been into yoga or meditation but I'm willing to give it a try. I've asked 3-4 doctors if my fast labor was because of the cervidil or just my body knowing what to do. Each of them have said cervidil rarely speeds up labor with that kind of intensity, and said I will probably always have fast labors. It's not a guarantee, but part of me wonders if I won't ever have a choice for an epidural anyway, so I may as well prepare just in case.

So much unknown . . . so much excitement. With Pawnee's pregnancy done, I can't wait to see how Jen's labor goes (due ~ April 4th) and to welcome another nephew into this world in just a few weeks!

8 comments:

Derek and Nancy said...

You are so cute! I took the Hypnobirthing classes with my first pregnancy, and although I never got to use the techniques, the classes really helped me to be calm and gain confidence in myself. Not that you're needing confidence, but I'm just saying that they are great classes that help you to really get to know yourself. Looking at your pictures, I am missing being pregnant, although this time around it was so much harder! I was a lot bigger with Miwa than I was with Emi as well, but Miwa actually was a ton bigger! I hope that your labor goes quickly like the doctors are predicting. My doctor predicted a faster labor for me (anything would have been faster than Emi's -- so I thought), but you know how that worked out for me! Haha! But you never really remember that stuff, right? Good luck!!

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

Sorry that your doctor got fired...but I'm so glad that this gives you a chance to use a midwife!! I LOVED mine and I'm so happy to be using her again. Your first labor was fantastic, and you will love your labor even more with your midwife, promise!! They just know how to make a great experience out of something considered so grueling. And mix it all together with pain management techniques and a hot tub, you're all set! I'm so happy you want to go natural again. You are encouraging to want me to face the hurdle of doing it again myself. Epidural births seem like a piece of cake, and I wish I could enjoy a struggle free, non focused labor, but you are right, nothing beats the euphoria and reflection that lasts for months after wards. I'm happy to have another sister out there who understands what I mean! :)

And you look great! Just as great as you looked with Ty. I'm sure you will be stretchmark free again! A co-worker told me to rub baby oil that had vit e in it on myself after I got out of the shower. Then once that set in, I'd use my stretchmarks cream. It worked great for me.

Jon and Kim said...

I got lazy and stopped using lotion on my belly and didn't get any stretch marks. I think you are so right. It is the speed in which you gain the weight which determines if you get the stretch marks or not.

Hoenes Family said...

I have my heart set on doing the hypnobirthing method the next time I have a baby. I have read the book and it makes sense to me. I just wish I could find classes to go to here! Creepy that you Doc got fired! I am interested in a midwife also. You look fantastic.

Danae Curtis said...

That's awesome that you are doing a natural birth again, I mean, why not!? You rocked at it the first time! =) You are looking way cute and I can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Have fun in Vegas this weekend and I will be thinking about you!

k.young said...

You look great!! We need to get together soon!

Karmen said...

I've heard good things about hypnobirthing! My sister used it for some of her deliveries and she said it worked great. If that doesn't work out for you, you should also look into the Bradley Method. That's what I use when I'm in labor and it's awesome.

So impressed that you didn't get any stretch marks last time! That's amazing! I hope you don't get any this time. good luck!

Miss Crys said...

You are so beautiful Erica! You look tiny and gorgeous! I avoided stretch marks until my girls...4 and 5, but I was gaining weight so fast while I was in nursing school and working way more than full time. You look like you'll avoid them...keep exercising...it's working for the looks! I hope you are finding peace as the big day quickly approaches, it's an amazing journey you are taking.

Post a Comment