Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ty and the Rugby Team


Skip to about minute 12.
I don't know how to make the video fit in my blog yet, so here's the link you can copy and paste into a different window if you have not seen it yet on facebook: http://www.byutv.org/watch/982-428

I could not be more pleased with how this interview turned out. "True Blue" did an amazing job. It made me teary to watch it, especially when I hear Dan talk about Ty. But mostly, watching the interview makes me happy. I'm reminded that, despite the tragedy, there truly was so much love and peace that slipped into our lives to almost compensate for the pain. I'm touched that a sideline reporter at the BYU vs Colorado rugby game would remember Ty and what the rugby team did for us that day, even a year later.

With the one year mark of Ty's death coming up, the timing is appropriate. Lately on a daily basis, I feel myself reflecting on this past year, although I sense a hesitancy to think too deeply about it just yet. I feel myself anticipating next week, knowing I will need to address it. I may not need to write about it every year, but for me, this first year is important for me to process, and writing is the best way I know how.

Dan and I continue to learn how different we are, and how differently we grieve. While I know he will not forget that day, he does not want to "celebrate" or "make a day" of March 10th. For me, I know I will be at the cemetery in the morning before I drive to Vegas. I will need to write about my experiences, probably have a good cry as I allow myself to remember and feel all I've been through . . . and then I know I will be ready to have some fun with family and friends. I don't know what I will need in the future on this date. But I'm learning to take it a step at at time and go from there.

4 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

What a great video and tribute!! It made me teary eyed. I always enjoy seeing pictures of Ty. He made such a handsome little guy. You guys both did a great job in your interviews. I can't believe how composed you were, especially Dan. I loved the part where they showed you laughing. You looked so pretty and sincerely happy! I'm so proud of you guys. And I'm so proud of BYU rugby for making Ty apart of the team. I thought that was way cool of them to do all that they did for him on that day. Love you!

Jon and Kim said...

I loved it! It was very emotional. You and Dan both did a great job. I am so proud of both of you and the strength and example that you are to me. Thanks for sharing. Are you going back to Vegas for house hunting?

elias said...

One step at a time is the way to do it. Good girl, Erica (sorry, don't mean to sound condescending, but I'm both proud of you and inspired by you---and Dan)! It's important that you note the differences between how you and Dan grieve and handle things. Being married doesn't mean you should or will lose your identity or personality. It doesn't mean you should seek to be the same in all things. It means you use your differences and unique characteristics to compliment each other and broaden your ability to handle the blessings and challenges of life. You guys seem to have this down really well. Realizing and harnessing this power is the key to a very long, successful and happy marriage. I marvel at how you both are progressing.

By the way, great pics. There's something sublime about the look of a pregnant woman. It really is a heavenly thing. You're a great mom, and Dan is a great dad.

Love you guys!

Elias

elias said...

And by "compliment each other" I meant "complement each other." I always get those two mixed up! LOL ;)

Post a Comment