Monday, April 11, 2011

Bankruptcy, Here We Come!

Dan finished his last day of law school classes on Friday and has his last exam tomorrow! All he has left are two papers to finish up and he does not seem stressed about those. I cannot believe he never has to sit inside a classroom setting ever again if he doesn't want to. Now he just needs to wait around until April 21-22nd for his graduation ceremonies. I can't believe we're almost there!!

Dan has done really well this year with his grades overall, but there is one class that he excelled in where he received a 4.0 and the highest grade in the class. BANKRUPTCY. Dan was pleased because first of all, he has loved that class and developed a high interest in the subject. Secondly, Lewis and Roca just happen to have an opening in their law firm in that area, so Dan has requested placement there. If all goes as hoped, Dan will be practicing Corporate Bankruptcy in Las Vegas.

Another reason practicing in corporate bankruptcy seems plausible is because Dan also received recognition through the law school's annual Barrister's Ball and Awards Banquet.

We attended his first year, "just for fun", which really was not much fun at all. It was long and boring! So we skipped attending second year. But Dan received an invitation this year (and free meal tickets) because he was scheduled to receive an award. So here we are, are prepped for the "ball".

The official wording of the award is as follows:
American Bankruptcy Institute Medal of Excellence
Presented to the top student who excelled in Debtors and Creditors
Dan Kiefer


 Congratulations, Dan!

The highlight of the ball was watching the BYU basketball game during the delicious dinner. BYU's final game happened to fall on the same evening as the awards banquet. In hopes people would not skip out on the banquet (and knowing they would to watch the game) the Deans projected the game onto the wall. It was the most irreverent semi-formal  banquet I've ever been to, with the loudest spectator sitting right beside me, cheering or groaning at every shot! Too bad Jimmer and the team failed their mighty fans that night. (Personally, I was more into the yummy desserts than anything.)

Just as a side-note, Dan also finished his final mock-trial last week. It was a treat to see him in action again, working the court-room like a pro! My dad and I helped as witnesses, which always makes me so anxious. I don't know how anyone testifies in court in real life. Cross-examinations are nerve-racking! My dad was awesome though, playing the role of an insurance agent. He handled the unrehearsed cross-examining as if he really knows the ins and outs of insurance! I, on the other-hand, was red-faced and stumbled through my lines, never so happy to get it over with. As for Dan, he looked handsome in his suit and was smooth and confident, as always. It's crazy to think that the next time he's in the court-room, it will be the real deal!

2 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

Hurray for Dan! What a skilled lawyer he will be! I wish I could have seen him in action in the courtroom myself. Dang it, I should have flown down for it, and volunteered myself as a witness. I blew my last chance! I swear Erica, you just keep getting prettier and prettier!

Danae Curtis said...

Erica, I've decided you are the most beautiful pregnant lady ever! You're so stinkin' cute I can hardly stand it. =) Way to go, Dan!

Post a Comment