Monday, September 26, 2011

Monday Ramblings

About Dan:
Dan started his third week of work today at Lewis & Roca. It's been an adjustment for him, that's for sure! His first two days were September 12th and 13th in Phoenix, where their headquarters are based. It was mostly orientation and paperwork, but their presentation of the future and what Dan can accomplish and become down the road was a little overwhelming. He just wanted to make it through one day as an Associate!

Back in Vegas, Dan was thrilled when they placed him in the Bankruptcy group, since that's an area where he excelled in law school and and area where he discovered he had so much interest in. He really enjoys the group of attorneys he works with. Everybody is very friendly and social, which is helpful because spending 9-10 hours a day in an office is not really Dan's style. He needs the social breaks! (Just ask his law school study group, who had to integrate YouTube videos and Arrested Development episodes as part of their regular study routine)

His office has a nice view of the Strip and a decent-sized work space. Now to decorate... While I took a break from the social event to feed Aiyana, I had a bit of time to make some plans for his desk and walls! Dan has some ideas, too--it's his office, after all. But he has enough to worry about that I know he wouldn't mind some help with getting pictures printed and framed.

Waking up early has been one of the biggest changes for Dan. Anyone that knows him understands he has trouble falling asleep before 1 or 2am, so waking before ten can be a challenge! The last two weeks, he has left for work around 7:50am and leaves work by 6pm. Poor guy returns so exhausted, both physically and emotionally. His body is starting to adjust to his weekday routine though, and he actually falls asleep by 10:30 or 11pm. Unheard of for Dan! So that's a relief. Meds help, too. This morning he left at 7:30am, which is his goal for now. If he gets into work sooner, he can beat the traffic jams and be home to Aiyana and me sooner! Despite some of the stress, Dan finds enjoyment in the research he's doing for various cases, and get to attend court to observe when he wants to, also. Maybe in a year, he'll get to argue in court, too.

About Erica:
I love caring for Aiyana and working together to figure out an ideal yet flexible schedule for her. However, I have started feeling that itch to be working on something else outside of "mommyhood". Don't worry. I learned from my experience with Ty not to overbook myself with errands, work, and extra daily "stuff" that I was cramming into my schedule. But I think it's healthy for me to keep up my hobbies and interests, too. Eventually, I'd like to work one or two nights a week doing recreation therapy again, but not yet.

These days, I've picked up my publishing endeavor again! I printed my young adult novel and combed through it yet AGAIN, finding lots of little changes I could make, grammar or otherwise. Then I printed and bound a couple copies and sent them to Pawnee and my cousin, Kali, in Arizona. (THANK YOU!) I need some unbiased feedback so I asked them to pass it along to the youth they work with or people they know so I can gauge interest. The first two that have started reading it loved it so far! I haven't heard if either have finished it yet, but it will be helpful to know if the whole story keeps up the pace and leaves the reader satisfied. In the meantime, I'm sprucing up my querie letter to attract literary agents, preparing myself for the Rejection Train again. After my one-year hiatus from this process, I forgot how much work is involved! (I'll also try and finish Ty's book, also.)

Anyway, I'm enjoying focusing my energy on writing and trying to get published again while Aiyana is napping. I'll keep you posted if anything positive happens!

Last Night's Happenings:

STEELERS FOOTBALL! It's a Kiefer family event:

 I'm a little bit in love with this little boy--especially with his Steeler gear on.


 Sometimes Carrie and I can see a trace of newborn Ty in his face. At least enough to mark them as cousins.

 Aunt Meggers

 Tonight made me happy when I thought, "Jake and Carrie are coming over for dinner tonight...with their kids. (plural). So awesome.

 Nothing like the fourth quarter of a Steeler's game before bedtime. She might have her own Steeler attire next game.

 Lovin' the snuggles. I love baby boys. It even made me miss the newborn stage a little bit. (But not enough to agree with Dan that we should start "trying" in December. Are you crazy?? His defense was that he was calculating the extra time it might take us to get pregnant. I have no idea how that's going to go next time around but I'm not sure my body is ready for a surprise pregnancy #3!)

As for Lila, this is the best shot I could get of her! Yes, and it's blurry. Lately, she hides when I try and take pictures of her, and she made it a game last night, pretending to be a butterfly and flying all around the room escaping the flash of my camera. Oh well. Maybe next time, little butterfly.

1 comment:

Hoenes Family said...

Taylor if I remember right had a hard time adjusting to the 7:30-5:30 schedule. He too was used to breaks in between. Dan will be adjusted in no time and probably so will you. I missed not seeing Taylor during the day! I didn't know Steelers was such a big thing in your house! What a beautiful baby boy that is! I am assuming Kayla is done by now. I will text her and see.

Post a Comment