Last Saturday, Dan and I drove up to our soon-to-be neighborhood so we could explore the park that is right across the street from our home. The park is spacious and green with two playgrounds, a public tennis court, a small sand-volleyball pit, and our favorite aspect, two walking trails: Circling a portion of the park is a rubber track where many people were walking or jogging. Adjacent to the park is a huge water basin to protect against flooding. Inside the bowl of the basin is a dog park (so if it floods, I guess the dogs and owners are doomed), but the rim of the basin is a mile and a quarter round and wide enough for a group of friends to go running together.
Dan and I walked every bit of both trails, excitedly anticipating how perfect the location of the park is and how Dan could come home from work and just do a quick 2-3 laps around the basin and be done, and in the future, we could have bikes to go on rides together. . . . (I haven't had a bike since I was eight years old!)
So, there we were, feeling pretty dang happy about our neighborhood and sharing our hopes and dreams for our family when we decided to make a quick stop at our new house.
Don't tell on us, but the last time our realtor showed us the house, a certain in-law may or may not have snatched the garage opener and gave it to us for future use. This made me nervous, but Dan wanted to keep a close eye on the house to prevent any problems like the water-damage we had on our last offer.
The garage door opened, we stepped inside and closed the garage behind us. Then we both stopped. Something was very, very wrong. We could just feel it the moment we saw that the door from the garage directly into the laundry was missing, as well as the door from the laundry room into the main house. The cupboards in the laundry room were also open.
"Where are the doors??" Dan said, perplexed and cautious as we entered the kitchen. My jaw dropped open. Every drawer and cupboards in the kitchen was slightly open, as if someone had quickly rummaged through it, searching for something.
Dan told me to stay put, and wandered upstairs while I held my breath and prayed that an intruder was not about to shoot my husband.
Nothing was amiss upstairs. Dan checked all the windows and they were locked. Then he opened the front door. The problem was, he OPENED the front door. It was unlocked! And the lock-box with the key was completely missing. Someone had clipped the lock box, stolen the key, and then stolen two of our doors.Odd that they didn't steal the brand-new fans throughout the house, or the A.C. Units (a common thievery for empty, unsold homes).
We left the house and the creepy feeling inside while Dan walked across the cauld-i-sac to talk to our neighbor. This is where the story gets stranger and slightly incriminating: On the drive-way between our neighbors' cars was a beat-up DOOR. Kind of like someone had just taken off their beat-up door and replaced it with brand-new ones, like the ones from our house, perhaps? All the houses in that neighborhood are similar in layout, so our doors would fit perfectly. Hmmm.... right??
We knocked on all the neighbors' doors but no one seemed to be home. We kept trying to figure out if this was just a weird coincidence, or maybe there was a logical explanation -- that maybe the seller took the doors out temporarily for another project. But after many phone calls, it looks like we were indeed robbed before we even moved in. So we demanded new doors and new locks on the door, as well as the garage sensors turned off in case there is a second remote floating around.
We for sure get to move in next weekend because by contract, we can't close any later than the 11th. But now I'm a little bummed that the thrill of our new home is somewhat tainted by the creepy feeling of knowing someone was sneaking around our home already. But I'm also trying to tell myself that robbery can happen anywhere, anytime. I'll feel better once we get an alarm system installed, though.
So that's the latest in our house saga! Dan and I are going walking up there again today. It just feels good to be out.
6 comments:
Oh Erica! I am so sorry! I hope it wasn't your neighbor. That would be awkward to think that your new neighbor had just robbed you! But at least you are getting new stuff to replace it. And I am sure you are feeling violated that someone has been rummaging through your home. But don't worry! Once you move in, Dan can dedicate your home and you will feel the spirit of peace in your home again. The home we bought, the man had committed suicide in it. We didn't find that out until the day we were moving in. It really creeped me out, but once Jon dedicated our home, it doesn't bother me anymore. I just feel the spirit and it feels like it is our home! You will feel the same thing too! Just be excited! You will be in your own home soon! Your first home! That is way exciting! And you will get to decorate the nursery ect! Fun times are ahead. Focus on the good. Love ya!
Creepy!!!! So weird to think that your neighbor "Could" have done that.
I was totally sucked into your story after you wrote, "Nothing was amiss upstairs..." because then I was wondering "what about downstairs"? Always are able to captivate the reader in me! :) And you will feel so much better after you move in and dedicate your home. I'm so grateful that none of you were hurt and before long, you will fill that home with great memories that will cloud these initial ones. :)
I'm so sorry that you were robbed! Thank goodness for alarm systems! Aiyana is the cutest little Tiger I've ever seen- I can't believe how big she's getting. She's adorable!
I CAN NOT BELIEVE THAT HAPPENED! What in the world of craziness is wrong with people/possibly your neighbors!? That is a creepy feelings for sure. I am glad you requested new doors and locks, as well you should! I am also glad that you are getting an alarm system. I wish so badly that I had one here. It would make me feel a lot safer.
Who on earth steals a door??? That is so weird. Glad everything else is ok. You guys sure have been having bad luck with houses. I hope the moving in goes ok.
Post a Comment