Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Happenings in our Ward

Dan and I love our ward. We've felt from the first Sunday we visited (back when we thought we were buying that other house) that this was the ward for us. We liked the neighborhood but we also knew we needed to be in this ward specifically. That's never happened to either of us before where we've felt so drawn to a particular ward.

I felt right away that I needed to become involved and get to know as many people as I could. So, I immediately started volunteering for services, going to the activities, and trying to talk with one or two new people every Sunday. Within a few weeks of moving in, Dan and I were asked to meet with the Bishop and we presumed we'd be receiving callings. I had a few days to worry about my "fate" and was feeling anxious that I was going to be given a piano calling simply because word got out that I happen to have a piano, and piano-skills are lacking in our ward. I'm so rusty and I hate playing in public! I started to have a bad attitude about being roped into something simply for having a piano that really only serves as decor these days.

However, two days before our appointment with Bishop Mortensen, I had very distinct thoughts enter my mind that I was going to be called into the Relief Society. In my head, I sort of laughed at myself for being so presumptuous, but the next day the thought kept coming again -- so much, in fact, that I was no longer surprised when Bishop called me to be 1st Counselor in the Relief Society presidency. I've been very excited to be involved with the women in our ward. (It's all quite reminiscent of when I was a new mom with Ty and, after having just moved into that ward, was also called as a counselor.)

Dan was just called to be a Gospel Doctrine teacher and he is looking forward to it. While my biggest fear is to be called to teach Sunday School (I used to be afraid to say it out loud in case God heard me), it's practically second-nature to Dan. He's so charismatic and well-versed with the scriptures that he will make an excellent teacher. (For some reason, my attention-span struggles in Sunday School and I've made a goal to be better at focusing. Looking at my good-looking hubby is a very helpful start!)

Tonight, a member from the Bishopric said they'd like to consider us candidates to be a "Pa and Ma" for a youth Pioneer Trek this summer. I kind of gasped in excitement because I remember how powerful my own experience as a 14-year-old was (long permed hair, glasses, bangs and all!). . . and then I hesitated when I realized I'd have to leave Aiyana behind for three days. Then my stomach filled with even more anxiety when the counselor explained that part of the experience would be reenacting losing a baby on the trek. (He was not informed about Ty) How could I leave Aiyana behind for what seems a long time (and probably for the first time), while also reliving burying a child?

Despite these concerns, Dan and I do feel excited to be part of this experience if they choose us. The counselor told us that he and the Bishop both thought of "Brother Kiefer" when they were contemplating which couples to suggest for the trek. He really is so great with kids, and I do miss working with youth -- a lot, actually -- so I could feel myself being pulled. As for Aiyana. . . she'll be 13 months by June and probably weaning from nursing anyway. . . but it's incredibly hard for me to think about being away from her right now while she is only 8 months. I can't stand the thought of her wondering where I am and not understanding why I'm gone. Well, I guess we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it.

Anyway, Dan and I are happy and settling in well. I've had lots on my mind lately but I'll have to split up my thoughts for later.

2 comments:

Karen Ella said...

Wooooooowwww. That's big. Or, I guess, that'll be big. But I think it will be important. That's all I can figure out how to say about it right now... :)

Karmen said...

Did you tell your bishop about Ty after they asked you to do Trek? That seems like it could either be a great or really bad situation having to reenact losing a baby. Don't do anything you aren't comfortable with Erica! And Aiyana will be fine if she is 13 months by then. But I sympathize with leaving them over night for the first time. It's hard! Good luck with the new calling. You will be great!

Post a Comment