Thursday, May 17, 2012

From Baby to Toddler

Happy FIRST Birthday, Aiya-Papaya!

Aiyana's giant cupcake! (Thanks to Carrie for letting me borrow her pan!)
The party began with Aiyana wearing shoes for the first time in months. After she out grew all the baby shoes she was given, she has not worn any because I don't like spending so much money on such tiny things, especially when Aiya is still crawling. However, now she does not like shoes on her feet and spent the next few minutes squirming and kicking until her little feet escaped them. (Yet she's OBSESSED with playing with flip-flops and everyone else's shoes . . . )
Her birthday timeline from newborn to one year old, hanging on the wall in the background.


Meatballs, breadsticks, fruit and dip, juice . . . I probably should have offered a little more food but I didn't quite get around to it.

The party (unintentionally at first) took on a zebra-theme. It began with the cute dress I bought her, and then I seemed to see zebra pattern at every store: wrapping paper, balloons, paper plates . . . It was like it was meant to be. So I went with it. I can't take credit for the actual decorating. That was all Sandra.
The fam
My first time getting creative with cupcakes and frosting, involving Vanilla Wafers, chocoloate chips, food dye, and a huge mess of frosting squirted from cheap ziplock bags. Amateur work to be sure, but I was proud of my first-time endeavor.

Home-made chocolate cupcakes and peanut-butter frosting. I initially swirled the frosting but it looked too much like a pile of poop.
The birthday girl and Mama
SMOOCHES! She recently learned how to give mostly open-mouthed, slobbery kisses.

(Much thanks to Carrie again for taking most of these pictures. She's so awesome. Plus, I actually get to be in some of the shots for once.)



She loves her grandma Kiefer

Love this giggly face

A little love from Aunt Carrie



CAKE-TIME
BEFORE . . .

"Happy birthday, dear Aiya . . . "
She's no stranger to sugar, but she started off with just a little taste. . .

 . . . Then gave Daddy a taste.
Pacing herself, she took the frosting one fistful at a time!
Time to share with Mama. Thanks sweetheart.
 (Except I ate way too much in the process of frosting that beast!)
Diving right in, face first

 After so many fistfuls of frosting, I was reminded of that nasty chocolate-cake scene from the movie, "Matilda".


We finally cracked it open for her to get to the good stuff.

Ah, the joys of being one.


 Having the time of her life!
Look at that chocolate goatee!

 Washing it all down. The way she sucks in her cheeks when she drinks is so cute.
Aunt Megan was kind to help with her bath -- especially since Uncle Kroc wanted nothing to do with our messy little girl at this point!
 After a nice bath, it was time to play with her new toys, sharing with cousin Calvin.
Or ripping his eye out. Which ever .

One year ago, I experienced one of the most spiritual, beautiful moments of my life -- give or take some of the misery that accompanies the end of labor!
I will always be indebted to my daughter for the powerful healing she brought to my soul. She could not come to me fast enough and I wonder every day what I would do without her in my life.

What I love about Aiya:
  • What a vocal eater she is! If she tastes something she really enjoys, she says with enthusiasm, "mmmMMM!" She also makes that sound if she sees me eating something she wants to try -- usually within the sweet category.
  • her hugs and kisses and the way she says, "muah!"
  • Her happy, talkative nature and how she always has something she's trying to convey to me.
  • Her super-fast squiggly lizard crawl that she has only recently started to out grow and crawl on her knees. (But if she's in a hurry, she still resorts to the tummy-and-forearms method!)
  • how much she loves the song "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". She twinkles her fingers when she wants me to sing to her and now makes a sign for "diamond" by pointing her right index finger into her left palm. I love watching her learn!
  • how much she reminds me of Ty when she laughs and smiles so big, and how she points at his pictures and calls his name with excitement.
What an amazing first year it's been. I can't wait for the rest of it!

3 comments:

Karen Ella said...

awwwwww, yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i LOVE LOVE LOVE all the pictures! She's sooooo beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

Happy birthday sweet girl! What a cutie she is!!!! I loved all the zebra and pink. Awesome! I'm so happy for you Erica. I enjoyed celebrating her birthday via blog post. I'm seeing a lot of your face in her as she gets older. She is actually a pretty good mix of both you and Dan. Love you!

Danae Curtis said...

I can't believe she's already one! She's beautfiul! I can't believe how fair-skinned and light-haired she is too! Happy Birthday, Aiyana!

Post a Comment