Thursday, June 14, 2012

Lucky 7

The number 7 has been my "lucky number" since high school and often found its way onto the back of my sports jerseys, or my number of choice for other random affiliations. I'm not truly superstitious or a believer in such games, but I guess it never hurts to hope that seven years of marriage for Dan and me will prove to lead to many more good ones!
Dan planned a fun, quick trip to Laughlin, a small town less than two hours outside of Vegas. Most people probably wonder what could possibly be enticing about Laughlin. It's practically unmentionable in any commercial sense, though it does have a couple small casinos with the usual amenities. We stayed at the Aquarius casino and it was the perfect little trip for us!
The Colorado River runs through Laughlin -- a surprising little fact that makes all the difference. It was beautiful! Tons of people were jet-skiing, something we want to do next time. Despite the action on the water, it was very peaceful walking along the river.
The trip was short but so relaxing and enjoyable. Uninterrupted meals, shopping at the outlets (Dan even let me focus on buying him clothes for a change!) . . . and perfect weather out by the pool. I couldn't believe how much we were able to hold hands again and walk so close together.


Indirectly speaking of Aiyana . . . I was initially concerned about leaving Aiyana over-night (or for more than a couple hours for that matter!) for the first time. However, since she had just turned one years old a few days after our anniversary, we decided it was time for both mom and baby to further sever the cord. Besides, we needed to practice being away from each other before the Pioneer Trek begins, where I will have to leave her for 2 1/2 days without any contact at all.  (Typing that out, I realize none of this seems like significant numbers, but for me it's a big feat!)

I was surprised how ok I felt. I left Aiyana with a "young woman" from the ward (a 12-year-old I barely knew) Friday afternoon. Sandra took over early-evening and then was with Aiya for most of Saturday until we came home at 5:30pm (minus a few hours when the YW came over again). This was my first time not having the monitor by my bed and I thought I would feel crazy not being able to see her. However, while she was in my thoughts frequently, I was not afraid for her or anxious. In fact, I was the most relaxed I have ever been. It was great!

As I thought about this, I realized that much of my past anxiety has stemmed from the fear of being responsible if anything happened to Aiyana like it did to Ty. While I was away from her, as weird as this sounds, a part of me relaxed because Aiyana's safety was out of my hands and oddly enough . . . I couldn't really blame myself for not getting up to check on her or perform any of the obsessive habits I still have. I slept so well and awoke refreshed! (Much thanks to my mother-in-law!)

Seven years married. Dan and I both think, "That's it? Really??" It seems so much longer than that, and I don't mean that negatively. Life's been good, and hard, and really good.
Here's to Lucky 7.

1 comment:

Hoenes Family said...

Well I feel sheepish! I do believe I called you on your little anniversary trip! Happy Anniversary to you! I loved reading about Aiya's birthday. She sure put on a show with her cake eating! My girls never have put on a show. They won't even touch their cake! What is wrong with them! This year Kenzi will be sick and she is finally requesting to eat cake for her birthday! Maybe Maren won't disappoint me :)

Post a Comment