Thursday, November 15, 2012

My Spunky 18-Month-Old


A few pictures from last month:
 
 
With her long, baggy jeans and that determined strut, I can't help but think of her as the bully on the playground! She's about to take someone out! Fortunately, on the real playground, she's happy and social and I haven't seen her be mean to anyone yet. (Now, try and take her toys or her sippy cup. That's a different story!)
 
 
 
 
At 18-months, we are enjoying so many things about her. I used this phrase when she was real little, but here we go again:
 
The Many Faces of Aiyana
 

Happy or about to have a meltdown? Sometimes you just can't tell.
 
 
Meltdown. Definite uvula-throbbing-in-the-back-of-her-throat melt-down.
 
As usual, short-lived outburst and back to smiles!
 
Aiyana learned to fold her arms for prayer a couple months ago. She is quick to remind me at every meal and during naps and bedtime. I'll sing one sing while she's resting her head on my shoulder with her binky in her mouth, and then she pops up and folds her arm in this hilarious upside-down-praying-mantis style, and looks at me intently until I pray for us. Love it. Often times, she'll murmur "mm-men" at the end.
 
She LOVES our bed! (I mean, who wouldn't? Dan and I do!) Since our mattress is still on the floor, she often plops herself on top and makes herself at home. Many nights, after I've undressed her and removed Aiya's diaper, I'll send her loose from her room and say, "Let's go take a bath!" She takes off running into our room and instead of making a left into our bathroom, pauses a second before maneuvering a quick right and takes a flying-leap onto our bed! Not appreciated when I just wiped her poopy-butt and she's rolling all over our sheets.
 
She thinks it's hilarious when I come after her, and gets this crazy-eyed, wild expression as she eggs me on with her hyper shriek of laughter. She loves to rough-house and be chased. I can't keep up some days!
 
 
More Highlights:
 
24 lbs 11 oz (~60th %) and  31 inches (~30th %)
Dan says based on these stats, we're raising a short and stout porky pig! Rude.
 
She's so much fun, but a lot of work some days, especially as she is getting whinier, and cries dramatically whenever she's upset. You never know if she's frustrated that her jeans are too long or if she's broken her leg! It's usually frustration. She has little patience when she wants to do something or go somewhere and encounters an obstacle. Like Mom saying, "No." It's her favorite word until I say it to her. Or if I don't have her "bah-ba" ready the instant we walk downstairs, she freaks out. (I just don't get it. She knows it's coming but acts like I'm refusing to give it to her.) Speaking of her bottle, I still have her on a bottle in the morning and night because she doesn't take more than a few sips of milk out of a cup, so I'd rather she get the milk for now. We'll work on this before baby comes.
 
She's finally understanding Time-Out! We put up our Christmas tree last weekend (Holiday-Rule-Breaking post to come) and I was sure it would be an exhausting few days discouraging her from pulling all the ornaments off. Nope! It actually only took half-a-dozen time-outs within fifteen minutes before the warning of "time-out" deterred her from further wreckage of my tree. So happy about that!
 
While she's not a "picky" eater, she is particular about having a variety of food in her week. I used to be able to give her turkey and cheese for lunch every day. Now, I have to switch up her diet every couple days (or daily) so that she won't throw the food on the floor in boredom. Considering her mother is a buffet-style fan, I guess I don't blame her for not appreciating monotonous routine eating. = )
 
Knows 20+ words, though doesn't use them on a daily basis.
 
Transitioned into nursery without one ounce of problem! Hallelujah to entertaining her from three hours to one at church!! She could have been just fine attending months ago.
 
Not a hand-holder or snuggler -- except at bedtime or when she's sick, which she was for two days recently. I was soaking up the sleepy, sad cuddles she embraced me with as she fell asleep in my arms. Loved that, and almost wish she were sick more just for how tender she becomes! From wild cheetah to homeless, needy kitten.
 
So much to say but only so much nap-time to enjoy. Keep sleeping, my Energizer Bunny.


1 comment:

jenandrustyfidler said...

"Wild Cheetah to homeless, needy kitten" HAHA love that! I can't belive she's already 31 inches. Seems tall to me! Kylana is 36 inches and 18 months older. Don't know either of their percentages though because our doctor doesn't give them out because she thinks it creats paranoia for the parents. haha

Post a Comment