With the arrival of August, Dan, Aiyana and I have lived in Las Vegas for over a year now. Dan has entered his 2nd year as an attorney since September, and we have also broken in a our first home since November. We talk all the time about how blessed we are to have so much.
Life is really good -- and often times, I feel guilty when I hear about friends struggling or living in uncertainty. While Dan still has his ups and downs at work, almost on a daily or weekly basis, I, personally have very little to complain about. I am surrounded by kind people in our neighborhood (who are amazingly festive and full of holiday spirit all year round! Love that) and can't believe how many church members live nearby. Every few houses, there is someone from our ward, all of whom would do anything if you needed help or just someone to say hello to. I'm also enjoying getting to know people outside our ward, like our neighbors right across from us whose daughter is 8 months younger than Aiyana and who just turned a year (Play-dates comin' up!), and even connecting with mothers from Aiyana's storytime hours at the library, or the mom who's number I exchanged with at the park a couple days ago. People here are very friendly and I feel so at ease.
I am grateful that Dan works those long hours every day, giving his all so we can be cared for and comfortable. He's usually gone anywhere from 7-7:15 in the morning until 6:40 pm, maybe till 8 pm on late days. He's been able to enjoy the courtroom more often over the last few months, mostly on probono cases, but I admire how much heart he puts into these cases, even when he doesn't really get to count them towards his "billables". He really cares for every client, no matter (or maybe especially), their humble circumstances. Billable hours are probably one of his least favorite things about being an attorney. It's like having two jobs -- he has to go to work, but stress about receving the "right" kind of work where he can acquire enough billable hours so he is useful to the firm! Still, he's feeling more comfortable than he was a year ago, and even though Dan has the personality that wishes he were 5-10 years into the process, he's learning to be patient with himself.
I love that I can count on Dan whenever I need him. I have been the Beehive Counselor for a couple months now and I love that I can leave Aiyana with him without a second thought. We don't see each on Wednesdays for more than a few minutes until after 8:30 pm, but it's really not too bad. I get home and Aiyana is in bed and we still have plenty of time to relax together. It's been fun working with the young women and getting to know them. I know the Mia Maids and Laurels from the Pioneer Trek and the Beehives are so young and unabrasive that they're pretty easy -- with the exception of working on some maturity issues and learning how to keep them focused on lessons or tasks at hand! They're a great bunch though and the women I work with in the Young Womens are all amazing. It really has not been stressful or too busy most of the time.
In this last year, I've also really attached to my choir. It's been many years since I've consistantly sung with my ward choir and I usually drop out from being too busy or maybe getting disinterested when we just sing out of the hymn book. But we've had two talented music majors who have lead us, and most of their music challenges me with sight-reading again and requires me to practice at home. I love that. Keeps me singing again and recharging my vocal skills, which have definitely been slipping since high school!
We also really love having family here and getting together when we can. Aiyana loves playing with her cousins and being around her aunts and uncles! We are really sad that Jake, Carrie, Lila and Calvin are moving in a couple months though. Just means more trips to Utah!
So like I said, life is busy and good. It's a good month to reflect on all I'm grateful for and all I have, which always includes Ty, and Aiyana, and this baby boy I get to grow. I'm enjoying the "free time" while I can because in four months, it will not be so!
Happy first year to so many great things in our lives.
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
1 comment:
You have been very blessed. I am blessed to know you! Way to be optimistic and focus on the blessings of life. Love ya!
Post a Comment