"Thirty years old. I'm thirty. . ."
As I've said that statement to myself, I've waited for that shocking "how did that happen??" feeling, or something to feel different. . . But it doesn't really. I think the anticipation of turning 30 a few years ago seemed crazier than now being 30. I think it helps that so many friends and family members have breached this decade years ago, so it's not really as big of a deal as it felt to me when THEY (as in, most of you reading this!) turned the big 3-0. I've simply joined the ranks!
My friend, Brittany Bayles, threw me the first birthday party that I've had in years! I'm talking like. . . 7th grade, so you do the math. Of course, my family (in-laws included) always help me celebrate on my actual birthday every year, even though I feel guilty intruding on Christmas Eve. I've always been happy with that. But with this being a significant turning of age, it was really nice to have a "friend" party -- a Girls Night Out thrown for me just a week or so before my actual birthday, since as usual, most friends are out of town or with family on Christmas Eve.
At one of my new favorite restaurants, B.J.'s, Brittany presented me with the largest balloons I've ever held in my life! No one had to ask how old I am.
Friends in attendance: Brittany Bayles, Kristen Sundell, Melissa Hardy, Jo Tyra, Carrie Kiefer, myself, and my newest friend, Tonya McCall.
After dinner, we shared the pizooki sampler. Just my style! Lots and lots of small bites of a variety of cookie and ice cream.
Despite me telling Brittany to tell everyone NOT to bring me presents, she went ahead and organized a themed gift of jewelry. I'm always somewhat embarrassed opening gifts, but I'll admit, it was really, really fun to receive so much jewelry this year!
Huge thank you to Brittany for her thoughtfulness in organizing my party. It was the perfect sized company of friends, delicious food and dessert, and fun little surprises.
As for my actual birthday on Christmas Eve, my Rock family surprised me by putting together a birthday package, delivered by Jen and Rusty who were passing through Vegas one night earlier. The letter I emailed to everyone sums up what they did for me:
Jen and Rusty dropped off the bag of
gifts for my 30th. I opened it last night while we were with the Kiefers. I love
it all! The book of memories is especially thoughtful and appreciated. All of
you are far too generous with your kind words and compliments, and I was
laughing out loud so hard at some of the memories! Thanks to all of you for being a part of the
last 3 decades!
For those that may not have seen the
entire contents of the gift bag:
I've had to spend a considerable amount
of time getting beautified and ready this morning. Pressure is on with the
toddler shirt Pawnee decorated for Aiyana: a hot pink long sleeved shirt that
boldly states (in sparkly silver letters) "My mom is 30 and smokin' HOT". I'll do
my best! hehe
30 Lindor truffles?? My favorite melt in
your mouth choclates! In combo with the holidays, one a day for the next month
should tally on pregnancy pounds pretty fasty. Thanks. = )
A bottle of face lotion with the
following adjustment made to the title: "Oil of OLD AGE". Nice. Much
appreciated, Jen!!
30 minute massage coupon from Jen that would be just mean to make her do at
this stage in pregnancy. but definitely taking her up on that later!
Two movies: ANNIE (childhood favorite!! so excited to introduce to Aiya)
and TOOTSIE, both 1982 movies. I only vaguely remember that one from our good
ol' VCR days. something about cross-dressing. . . can't wait to refresh my
memory.
and some fun facts about the name
ERICA.
Thanks, you guys, for making my birthday
special, as always. I love that you were all apart of this "significant" step
into this next decade, even from out of state.
The shirt Pawn made for Aiya
Christmas Eve morning, Dan and I went to Town Square with Nicole and Renaud Couillens and their son, Enzo. We enjoyed some shopping and just being a part of the Christmas festivities down at that mall area. I also attempted a picture with Aiyana and Santa, but she has recently discovered "Stranger Danger" and has become clingy to me. This was as close as she'd get to sitting on Santa's lap:
Maybe another year or two!
Then we met up with the rest of the Kiefers at Outback Steakhouse for lunch, where I received more jewelry, some Bath and Body Works soap, and in the evening, a NINJA blender from Dan! I have really wanted to make some good green drink smoothies lately, especially in this last trimester of pregnancy to get my vegetables in. I have a basic blender but can't get away with disguising the green goods. The Ninja is awesome, with the scariest blades inside. It's very appropriately named! I love it and am excited to experiment with smoothies and other sauces.
30 years down. . . and now that the Mayans inaccurately predicted the end of time, I suppose I have many more left to go!
1 comment:
Happy Happy Birthday Erica! Sounds like you had a great birthday! You are awesome and I am so grateful to be your friend! Hope this is the best year ever!
Post a Comment