Friday, December 28, 2012

30 years, 30 Weeks Along!

The magic number is 30!

On my 30th birthday, I also turned 30 weeks pregnant.

28 weeks
 
Boom! 30 Weeks
 
At my 29 week appointment, I had gained 18 pounds and my fundal height measured at 29 cm. I'm sure I'm at least at 30 cms now, since I seem to gain a cm a week. Another appointment next week! Crazy that I only have 10 weeks left. I have been happily distracted with family and holidays for the past couple months and now that January is basically here, I'm starting to get nervous!
 
I have a lot of mental preparation to do for labor. Even though I've done it twice, it still feels like I need to gear up and practice for birth. But that makes sense. Any physical or mental exertion requires practice, right? You don't just jump into a marathon just because you've done it before. Training, training!
 
My physical training is out the window right now. Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction is winning this week. I guess I over-did it cleaning and prepping the house for Christmas because since the Couillens have arrived, my body has pooped out on me. The last three days especially, I can barely walk. It hurts pretty bad again, I'm not gonna lie. I was reading a book to Aiyana that shows how a penguin waddles and I had to add, "like Mommy . . . " because I definitely have a limp of some sort going on. That front bone pain is killing me, as is a particular ligament in my thigh. I've taken it fairly easy this week, trying to recooperate, which has meant opting out of some of the family activities, like riding the buggies in Logandale, or hiking this morning. But it's not getting any better yet, which is surprising.
 
So once Christmas vacation is over, it will be on to mental training! I pulled out my hypnobirth CD the other day to listen and practice the deep breathing and relaxation techniques that have worked for me. The first time, it took me a while to relax my mind and body. But the next two times I did it, it felt more familiar and I fell asleep fairly quickly. I need to start doing that and reading positive affirmations daily so I can battle off the little bit of fear and anxious anticipation of labor. I know fear of pain and discomfort can be a big enemy for unmedicated births so I don't want to play into it -- but I also want to be realistic and know that it's not going to be all flowers and sunshine, especially post 8cms dilated!
 
 
Spiritual preparation is also a key element that I need to give myself a booster. I hope I can recreate how most of Aiyana's labor felt. I know a lot of that was spiritual, especially where I was at during the time with relying on God so much to help me through the grief. Aiyana's birth was such a huge part of my healing and I know that's what aided the beauty to the experience.
 
Wish me luck for the next 10 weeks! I don't really anticipate going early, but I do hope my mom gets to be here for the birth. It's been special to share Ty and Aiyana's births with her. I'm not even worried about the support Dan and my mom will be to me. They're naturals. 

2 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

You look amazing. So beautiful. Seriously. Happy Birthday to you! I didn't even text you! FOR SHAME! 30 weeks and 30 years- so cool.

Petersen Palace said...

Happy birthday! And good luck with your last few weeks! I bet pushing will be even faster than it was last time. Your body knows what's happening. :)

Post a Comment