Saturday, March 2, 2013

Aiyana Meets Aaron

The afternoon following Aaron's birth, my mom brought Aiyana to meet her brother. I was in the bed holding Aaron and Aiya ran straight to the side of my bed and smacked her hands up and down on the mattress, demanding to be lifted up. But her eyes and attention weren't on me. She was all about the baby!
 
My giant toddler kneeled on the space next to me, leaning over and getting all up in Aaron's face. I had to keep an arm around her to keep her from squishing Aaron's body, to which she seemed oblivious beneath the blankets. She just wanted to touch his head and face, babbling excitedly. Sometimes a shy, curious smile would pass across her face and she'd let her tongue stick out of her mouth like she does when she's a little uncertain or truly happy about something. Overall, she did quite well in being "soft" when she caressed Aaron's face or touched his head. She only curiously tried to gauge his closed eyeball once. = )
 
Her over-eager attitude resulted in some intervention periodically, spiraling into mini-tantrums from Aiyana. She just couldn't get enough of him! Her reaction was exactly as I predicted and just what I anticipate (and am kind of afraid of!) for when we go home together. I knew she'd be obsessed with Aaron and I know when we're at home, I will never leave her alone with him for months to come! I think it's going to be hard to get things done or even to nurse Aaron without Aiyana being all up in that business! Thank goodness my mom is here for 3 weeks.
 
Speaking of, it's Saturday today (we have passed our 48 hour observation mark) and we are supposed to go home "sometime" today, whenever the pediatrician arrives and gives Aaron discharge papers. I'm anxious to get back and be home so I can spend time together as a family, as well as have some one-on-one time with Aiyana. I also feel bad that my jet-lagged mother only had 12 hours or so of arriving in the states before we put her to work! But I know that's what she came for and she's been so awesome with Aiyana, who warmed up to her in all of 30 seconds. (I mean, who can resist a beautiful, crazy Thai woman chasing after you like a dog or a pig, or who managed to jump-rope with an impossible short piece of ribbon in the most absurd manner?? What toddler could resist that kind or re-introduction?) 
 








3 comments:

The Hickman Family said...

Yay! Congrats you two! He's beautiful. So happy for you guys. Enjoy your little man.

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

Hurray for everything Erica! I finally got a chance to indulge in your labor and delivery. I haven't been on facebook much this week, and happened to catch your announcement during a quick 20 seconds of time I was able to steel away. Didn't leave me any time for commenting though. He's beautiful, your beautiful, and your story is beautiful. And Aiyana is beautiful too. Such a cute little girl. I'm glad you made it to the hospital on time! what a fun rush.

Karen Ella said...

Gorgeous!!!! I love the pics of Aiya with him, SOOO beautiful.

Post a Comment