When I was still pregnant, I had a conversation with Jen about my anticipation for dealing with two kids. My outlook (which happened to be on a particularly frustrating day chasing Aiyana around with my tired, pregnant belly) was hardly positive! I felt like it was going to be chaotic and couldn't imagine even attempting to leave the house with both of them, not with nursing schedules and Aiyana's unpredictable outbursts. I foresaw a future of shopping and doing all my errands on Saturday, ALONE.
But I found myself yesterday out at library for story time, arriving calmly with five minutes to spare. I don't have a double stroller yet so I had pushed Aaron in the big stroller that attaches to the car seat, and Aiyana happily sat on the handle bars. Aaron slept in his car seat the whole time and Aiyana listened and danced along to the songs pretty well. It wasn't until story time was over when I ran into someone I knew from Provo that it became a little tricky. Aiyana got bored of the puzzles and her snacks pretty quickly while I was chatting (had to sneak those to her, hoping the librarians wouldn't catch us) and while I was feeding a bottle to Aaron, she took off running. So I chased her down and caught her, which caused a meltdown and required me to scoop her up with one arm while still carrying Aaron in the other. Fortunately, she calmed down enough for me to get Aaron back into the car seat.
Other than that, the rest of the day went smoothly enough. Some over-reaction tears from Aiya here and there but I kept my cool for the most part, especially because she was actually behaving better for me than she has since I returned from the hospital! Hardly any screeching at me and she was fine to play by herself or watch a show here and there . . . (sorry, family, but I think she's enjoying having me to herself again!) So day one was encouraging!
So much, in fact, that I ventured out to Costco and had zero problems. I totally feel like I can do this! I am reminding myself, though, that Aaron is still in the "sleeping most of the time" stage so I'm sure it will be harder when he's "awake" and I'm trying to juggle his schedule in conjunction with Aiyas. But like with the rest of life, we'll get there when we get there.
Some pictures from this week:
3 weeks!
Aiyana is super snuggly with her daddy these days. Move over, Mom! Although yesterday I got some night-time love before bed-time, as well, when she insisted (as she does every night) to watch Elmo. "I 'ant Ammo. . ." Too cute and we can't resist.
"Hi, Awron. Hi, baby! Ohhh... baby cry!" Just a few things she says every day. She adores him, if you can't tell from her expression.
A few highlights:
- I have no desire to potty-train Aiyana right now, but she's starting to show some interest. She's been telling me since she was 18 or 19 months whenever she poops and wants to be changed right away. This week, even with a wet diaper, she's eager to be changed. The other day, I casually (and half-joking) threw out the idea, "Do you want to go chee-chee on the potty?" as I was changing her diaper. She jumped up and ran out of the room. I called after her and found her in the bathroom. "Come on, let's change your diaper", I said, not realizing that she was trying to take me up on my offer and sit on the toilet! It was a bad time, since Aaron was crying hard and needed to be fed. But when I tried to explain to Aiya, "Can Mommy feed Aaron first and then you can sit on the potty?" her entire face dropped in disappointment and broke my heart! So, what else could I do but hold Aaron in one arm while he nursed and maneuver Aiya's pants off and pull her up onto the toilet with the other? It was a tricky scenario and quite the sight, I bet. I'm pretty sure I've flashed all my neighbors by now, anyway, with our bare windows downstairs. Aiya looked so pleased to be sitting on the toilet, even though she just sat there. I really don't want to deal with that right now but we'll see.
- Aaron is my little whoopie-cushion! Seriously, every time I squish his legs against his chest/tummy, he pops out so much squeaky gas, it's hilarious. But at night, it's no fun because he grunts and squirms so much in discomfort that he keeps us both up. Half the time, he sleeps pretty decently (maybe waking up at midnight, 3 or 4 am, and then 6:30 or 7-ish, if not later). Then nights like last night, he only sleeps for 30 min to an hour before squawking in discomfort. So tired and I really need to stop blogging and go nap! Aaron has definitely been my hardest newborn to put back to sleep after nursing. Ty and Aiya would wake up but go right back to sleep for the most part. Aaron needs a little more time and TLC -- plus gas removal! Just going to keep up the use of Gripe Water, I guess.
- No more highlights. Go to sleep, Erica!

3 comments:
Oh my GOSH, I LOVE the haircut!!!! It's SOOO cute!!!!!
Way to go, Erica, on a successful solo day! I can totally relate to the feelings of gratitude for family but then also the desire to tackle the inevitable. :) I'm especially impressed with the way you managed nursing AND getting little Aiya Papaya situated on the toilet! As for uncovered windows, I was thankful we got our shutters put on ours the day before Ethan was born, remember that? I was anxious after my cute neighbors behind us said how they loved seeing my cute pregnant tummy! I was thrilled to get our yard fenced up and those shutters up before I was home and nursing! :) You are an amazing mother! Love you!
You are starting things off with a great positive attitude! I think the experiences of nursing one while putting the other on the toilet makes motherhood that much more enjoyable. And humorous! You'll win every time with your positive can do attitude. Challenges can be so rewarding. No doubt you walked out of that bathroom feeling like a hero! :)
Post a Comment