Monday, June 3, 2013

Memorial Weekend in Fallon

For Memorial Weekend, we decided it was time for Dan to check out Fallon, NV. We left Thursday early evening so that we could enjoy three full days with the Fidlers before returning to Vegas Monday.

As we were scrambling around trying to leave Thursday, Dan took an extra 20 minutes trying to locate and print off our insurance card. (Just as we'd been preparing to leave, he had the distinct feeling we needed it, especially since he just realized the one in the car was an expired copy.) I was annoyed at the waste of precious drive time, but turns out, as we were driving through Tonopah and looking for Burger King, Dan was unintentionally speeding and we were pulled over. Fortunately, the officer was pleasant and let us off with a warning -- but I'm sure that would not have been the case, had we not had the insurance card!

Friday
With our midnight arrival, we slept in and took the day easy. We enjoyed brunch at this cute and delicious Cafe, where Pawn and I fell in love with it during our last visit in January. It was just as scrumptious this time!

Rusty returned home from work early and on a spontaneous note, Dan encouraged Jen to find us a babysitter so we could watch the new Star Trek movie. None of us had been to a movie in months, if not a year. We had the kids pretty much in bed before we left, bringing the two little babies with us who behaved fabulously. We loved being out in the theater and without toddlers!

Saturday
We made the two-hour drive to Lake Tahoe and it was totally worth the extra hours in the car. Dan hadn't been since he was a kid, and I don't remember ever going myself. It was so gorgeous! We didn't dress appropriately for the weather and sandy activity, thinking it'd be too cold. But the day fluctuated between too windy and just right, so we let the kids get dirty -- "kids" including Dan and Rusty, who spent an admirable amount of time and energy trying to build a sand castle. It was a bit of a struggle, especially with Aiyana's contribution being less than helpful (every castle needs a menacing ogre attacking, right?).






 There's the least beast now, tearing away at the wall.




 Our competitor's next door had trenches deep enough that a toddler could walk through it.

 Aiya, filling Dan's deep belly-button with sand, after my teeny-tiny words of encouragement.




 Kylana and Aiyana played well a lot of the time, but at the house, Aiya liked to tease Kylana a ton, taking her toys just for her reaction. Jen worked with Lana to tone down the dramatics so Aiyana would leave her alone! Aiya giggled and played well with Brax the whole time because Brax didn't give much of a show when she teased him. He's such a chill kid most of the time.

 I love this picture



 Jen and I needed practice with our Ring Slings. They're taking some getting used to but we figured it out in the end, more or less.


Sunday
We went to sacrament meeting and that was pure chaos! There we were in the second row from the front, though to the far right side, and the kids were crazy! Over-tired, over-stimulated, I don't know. They weren't fighting or screaming necessarily, but they were just loud and were moving non-stop. We had to keep taking them out the foyer and ended up staying out there because it was getting ridiculous!

Needless to say, we came home after that and spent the afternoon with the kids in bed for LONG, much-needed naps while we vegged out to a movie and comedy TV shows. Nice.

We did go for a walk, all of us except Rusty who used the excuse that he was too sunburned to be outside anymore. The rest of us had fun walking Jen's neighborhood. Dan loved Fallon because, while smaller, it reminded him of his neighborhoods back in Sonora, CA.




Yes, Lana insisted in "walking" Aiya

Monday
Departure time! We took the morning easy, except for attempting a group photo. I'm always the annoying camera-fanatic that insists on that, though I knew enough to take a few shots and call it good. There is no perfection with this many kids sitting together. 


 Lana decided randomly to put on her Halloween Costume. She is all about purple unicorns lately!

 Jen and I loved reuniting Aaron and Ella, born six weeks apart -- the rough estimate between all three of our kids! I'm not sure I'll be keeping up with Jen's pace after this, but you never know.

 We were hoping for a little more recognition and desire for closeness, but Aaron's expression says it all!

Good-bye Fallon!


2 comments:

Jon and Kim said...

Sounds like a nice and relaxing trip. (Well, as relaxing as it gets with toddlers) Glad you guys had a good time. I noticed Aiyana has a cast. Haven't been on here for a while, so I will scroll back through previous posts to see what happened to that sweet little angel!

Pawranee said...

How fun! Lake Tahoe looks so beautiful! I'll have to get my little beach getaway with Jen and Rusty soon! :) So many great pics, Erica! I'm so glad you take so many photos when we get together. Sad to say, if you didn't do it, we probably wouldn't have many to document all the great memories. What would we do without you? I love the photos of Dan and Aaron, Aiya and Kylana laying down together, and the last one of Aaron as he looks at Ella! Hysterical! And he's such a cutie!

Post a Comment