Friday, January 10, 2014

Spotlight on Aiyana

At just over 2.5 years old, my growing Aiyana needs a spotlight!


 


In no particular order:
  • She is a  the BIGGEST tease! Anytime her cousins are here, especially Kylana and Brax, she can't help but grab their toys and run with an impish grin on her face. She's so naughty sometimes! In their absence, she loves to mess with Aaron. It usually starts off loving, and then mutates into bully behavior. Makes Dan and me so mad! She takes off running, holding her hand on her "bun-buns" to avoid a spanking. Lately, what is most impactful is putting her in time-out in her room, away from us, (sometimes for her own safety from me and my livid-state!) or sometimes we can pull the sad/disappointed face and she breaks down for hugs. 
  • Has more energy than either of us knows what to do with! She loves to get out of the house once a day if we can. Loves to walk everywhere, if I let her. (She knows which stores she can walk in and those she can't for the sake of my sanity! Grocery trips: absolutely not! Grabbing something quick at Target: sure. *smacking myself later for allowing it!)
  • Loves Aaron but is so easily jealous of any attention Dan and I give him. Has a big problem of hitting him in the head or pushing him over. She gets in BIG trouble for that! We're finding that time-outs in her bedroom work more effectively than time-outs in the corner or spankings. She just laughs at spankings, running away with her hand on her bum.
  • A vegas girl already! I don't know how she developed this dance she does, but we call it the "nakey-bun-bun" dance because she started doing it when she was naked. "Look at me, look at me!" she says, swiveling her hips in a circle in a way that little girls should not be doing! It's pretty jaw-dropping hilarious! -- until she gets a little older. We're already trying to put a quiet end to it because she's getting super into this hip-swirling dance of hers! I definitely get some looks when she randomly starts "dancing" at the post office or other public places, her eyes wide and her mischievous smile grinning so big, waiting for the reaction she always gets. It's impossible not to laugh, and even encourage her to do it again.
  • Her favorite thing to do is to "get cozy" and watch a show. While bundled in my bed (or even just blankets on the floor), she loves to be wrapped in blankets while watching Barbie, Care Bears, Elmo, Little Einstein, Shrek . . . to name a few. Give her a bowl of chocolate pretzels and she is one happy camper for the next hour or so. 
  • While she is content to zone out to a movie, given the choice, we are glad she would rather be outside or doing something physical. She can't get enough of the park or "Jump house" (Kids Club).
  • Still naps 1.5-2 hours a day THANK GOODNESS! She's usually in her room for 2.5 hours once I include the time it takes her to fall asleep and then letting her hang out in her room for a little bit while she's awake. (It's my writing time so I have to take advantage while I can!) She's so ready to be out of the crib, hinting about sleeping in the big queen bed in her room or Mommy's bed. Selfishly, I'm not ready to give up her crib containment yet, and she doesn't mind being there once we get her in. When she turns 3 in May, we'll make the move.
  • Routine-oriented! Not sure if it's routine or OCD but sometimes this girl will not give it a rest if her bed-time routine does not include her specified song and dance -- literally. She totally manipulates us to hanging out longer and singing to her, but screams at uncharted decibels if we shut the door without finishing her requests (which are always the same: we need to end on "I Am A Child of God, I Love to See the Temple, Taumafai, and Familes are Forever." Fortunately, Dan and I can get away with just the choruses (after we've song 3-4 full verses of other primary songs). It's a little long winded and nutty at bed time. Still, she's in bed by 8 PM every night and that works great for us! 





Favorite phrases:
  • "Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean to . . ."
  • "Ohh . . . you hurt? I kiss it better." She's very big on validating when people get hurt, including herself. When she gets hurts, she wants recognition and a kiss. Don't we all? 
  • In response to a request: "Oh, 'course." and "Sure!"Love it. Love this girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment