Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Logan is One Month Old!

This cutie pie is one month old! Like with all our kids, our time with Logan seems even longer than that. Maybe it's the waking up every two hours at night... =) but he just feels like a natural part of our family. I adore him. He is so easy to take care of so far. He still sleeps most of the day, which has been a huge help for me. As excited as I am for him to become alert and interact more, his sleepiness has made the transition from two to three kids so much easier than anticipated. Or maybe I had such an overwhelmed, anxious outlook on having three kids that reality isn't as bad as I fathomed!

We pretty much stick to the routine we had before Logan was born. We're up around 7 AM (though Logan keeps sleeping after he's been fed). The kids watch shows while eating breakfast in the loft, and I'll gradually get them and myself ready so we can leave the house for either one errand or something fun like the park between 10 and 11 AM. It can be frustrating how long the process takes with having to do so much physically for each child. I've lost it some mornings, so frustrated how many times I have to ask the kids to find their shoes, or to stop screaming so I can feed the baby... Ooh, the screaming. Nothing gets me more worked up and over stimulated than the high pitched screaming and crying from Aaron and Aiyana. I turn into ugly mom beast and I'm yelling back at them to stop it and just want to call it quits on leaving the house. But then the kids get more worked up staying home, so it's just better for all of us if we get out of the house once a day! However, I have learned to choose only ONE place to go, (usually the park) so I don't overexert any of us. 

Now Logan... he really does not make my life more difficult than it already gets sometimes with Aiya and Aaron. It takes more time to time feedings, diaper changes, and getting him in the car, but while he will cry for a bit, he settles down easily and cooperates really well.

I love nap time. I've been happily impressed with myself that I've been able to make napping work with all three kids home. I put Aaron down first around 1 PM. That cute boy is the super easiest to put down for naps. I just lay him in his crib with his binky and raggy puppy doll, and five minutes later he is out! Then I take Aiya in there and she is really good (most of the time) with choosing to play quietly or to nap. Occasionally, she'll still fall asleep, too. Either way, I get at least an hour to myself if I can get Logan fed and settled in his rocker. 

Then this is my favorite part of the day: While he's sleeping or falling asleep, with his little lips sucking or eyes slowly blinking shut, I turn on nature music from Pandora. It's the station I used during pregnancy nap time and while laboring with Logan in the hospital. It's calm, beautiful music like what I associate with spas and it's so relaxing. I love to just watch Logan for another minute in the quiet of the day, so in awe of this perfect, beautiful little person we created. He's such a good looking boy! Then I do my deep breathing and fall asleep for thirty minutes to an hour if I'm lucky. If Aiya falls asleep, I get a little longer but if she's playing quietly, I feel bad to leave her in there for more than an hour.

Logan Highlights:

  • 10 lbs and in 40th percentile for height and weight. I'm glad he's gaining weight well enough because he eats really fast (ten minutes) and usually only stays awake for one side. 
  • Wakes every two hours to eat, day and night, although occasionally he'll surprise me with a 2.5-3 hour stretch.
  • Some nights he's fussier than others, where he just seems uncomfortable and won't stay asleep. On these nights, I take him with me to the couch for better support, and he sleeps in my arms while propped in the boppy face up. It makes me a little nervous to sleep with him, but I don't move at all and he's on his back in my arms so it feels safe. And then both of us get some rest!
  • Balding! Logan's losing that great hair he was born with, which makes me sad. This happened to Aiyana, too, so he's going through this awkward phase where he has old man head. haha But he's still so handsome!
  • Likes his binky to get settled but usually spits it out, or sometimes refuses it all together. 
  • Great with the bottle! He first took a bottle within a couple of days of birth. Tommy Tipee are the best! It's so helpful to be able to get away for a couple hours, knowing he'll be OK with being fed by someone else.










Recovery for myself:
It's been as smooth as the others! The first twenty pounds melted away within days or the first week or so. With these last ten pounds, I'll have to work harder to whittle them down. At almost six weeks, I went to Bootcamp run by my friend, Laura Mounteer. It felt soo good to run and lift light weights! She was telling me to take it easy but I honestly felt ready for working out at four weeks, but I waited just in case. My body stopped feeling sore after two weeks, so it's been great! I actually would have gone to the gym sooner but Logan isn't old enough for daycare (and I don't want him around those germs anyway), and it's impossible to workout at home with the kids. In the next week or two, I'll be switching from 24-hour fitness to Las Vegas Athletic Club because their daycare is more affordable and I heard it has an awesome playhouse that kids love. Can't wait to get at it again!




No comments:

Post a Comment