What's the day? Date? All I know is it's the year 2020 and everything else has blended together into a waiting game of boredom and doing the best we can!
Hallellujah though! School is done. We did our best. It was ok. We spent about two hours attempting school, using a mix of books that I had purchased and online resources from the teachers (Google Classroom assignments) and Mystery Doug, etc. Homeschool was one of the hardest things I've had to do as a mom. It put multi-tasking to my max capacity, jumping from kid to kid to explain the assignments and sit with each for a few minutes before someone else needed my help, or Eliana demanded my attention, or Logan needed me to help him in the bathroom... Having Logan in preschool was incredibly helpful, and then I just had to get over the TV guilt and let Eliana watch shows for two hours because it was the only way I could focus without losing my mind! Aiya was able to self-direct her learning for the most part, but needed help with writing assignments and reading comprehension. Aaron needed help with each assignment. Even though he's a straight A student at school and one of his teacher's favorite kids, Aaron had major anxiety learning from home and it was a struggle for us. Sometimes Dan would take one of the kids with him to work for the morning and that was helpful for the break. Some days we'd get into the worst mom-teacher-student-son fights =( and for the sake of our relationship, call it quits for the day! I am so glad that covid hit with only two months left of school rather than at the beginning of the year when there was so much left to learn.
I'm getting nervous about school year in the fall. The CDC came out with these detailed guidelines that will make the school feel sterile and scary for kids! Everyone in masks, 6 ft apart, regular hand-washing and reminders over the intercom about germs and distance... they're looking at a blended school schedule where the kids will be divided into half the day, or maybe a week on and a week off from learning at school and then learning at home. I don't know. It just seems like a lot for kids and parents to take in. I'm so sad for Logan that this might be his kindergarten experience! I'm considering not sending him because it's scary enough to send your kid away for six hours. But into that kind of environment? How will he feel comfortable making friends? and playing? Kindergarten is supposed to be learning but also magical! It just makes me sick to my stomach worrying about it. So far now, I'm just not going to think too much more about it. Hopefully Covid will clear up enough to where it's not so tense.
Outside of the school debate, there is lots of judgement and debates going on in every other aspect of life as it pertains to Covid. It's the new politics, where throughout the day, people are posting their views on social media, or there are those who try and post memes, reminding us to "be kind and non-judgement". That's where I'm at. There's discussion all over the place about masks being effective or not, or "it doesn't matter if they're effective. Think of others!" With businesses starting to open up, some people are acting like social distancing doesn't matter anymore and are crowding beaches and parks and pools this Memorial weekend. I can't say I'm perfect at it either. I went and played pick-up soccer Saturday morning with Dan and couldn't help myself when going in for tackles. I'm too competitive to play completely laid back soccer. lol Then we went biking at Floyd Lamb Park and took the kids to this BMX jump track. It was a pretty busy but we tried to keep our space on the bikes.
Anyway, I'm kind of over being so scared of Covid. I feel like it's going to be as common as the flu and it's just a matter of time before we all get it. It won't be fun, that's for sure. But I don't like living in fear and worrying about everything. We do the best we can. and right now, Dan and I are eager to support the small businesses and the rest of the economy, to pull out of this mess from 2 months+ of closure.
On the positive: No soccer has allowed me to discover my love for biking. Now I just wish the weather weren't about to sky-rocket in heat. No more biking. =( Really hoping soccer opens up by June. That'll make all of this more bearable! I've gained 3 pounds or so during this new quarantine life. Not a crazy amount, but enough to make me mad because I feel like some of it is out of my control! I think people everywhere are learning what it's like to have parts of their life stolen from them and out of control. It's not fun. Infuriating really.
But we are healthy and comfortable so I really shouldn't complain too much. Dan is continuing to work crazy hours as he's successfully broken away from the Rushforth firm. Business is booming, thanks to his dedication. It's definitely taking a toll some days, but we're enjoying getting out on bike rides, the mountains, or game time with the kids when it's not too hectic with them.
Here's hoping June is an easier month!
Recovering and Surrendering
9 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment