Friday, August 21, 2009

De-clawing the cat

She was not happy! It was sad watching her hobble around with her "clubbed foot".
The surgery was performed on her front claws. Both of them were bandaged - to which the Vet's assistant said, "She shouldn't be able to get these off." Yeah, she doesn't know how feisty Layla is! She gnawed and shook one bandage off within ten minutes, and the other off in less than 24 hours.

Poor thing was so exhausted from being stressed from the surgery - and so was Dan, apparently! But sleeping almost constantly for 2-3 days helped her recover quite quickly.
De-clawing Layla has been in the cards for a while, and we're glad it's finally done! As much as we love her and how snugly, fun, and smart she is... (that is, when it's just Dan and I at home), she is a terror to any child! My poor nephew, Christian, is a good example and sadly, I'm afraid is traumatized for life! Last time I went to visit him in Arizona, Pawnee said the conversation went something like this...
Pawnee: "Christian! Aunt Ere is coming!"
Christian: "Aunt Ere? And cat too? That kitty not nice..." - of course, I'm sure his face and eyes filled with concern as he remembers her hissing constantly at him every time they visit!
Pawnee had to reassure him the the "mean kitty" was not coming.
Anyone else that has met her can't argue with that one! She's very territorial and is scared and stressed when kids are around - i have NO idea why. She's never been abused or in a shelter. She's just NEVER liked kids and gets ultra-defensive. So why keep her, you might ask? - especially with a BABY on the way??

Well, the next step is to put her down, since she would not adjust to anybody else. And the thought absolutely kills me (no pun intended). She was my "baby" before I even wanted a baby. 3 1/2 years ago, I was craving something little to love, but we didn't have the space or time for a dog, and I wasn't ready to even think about babies... and so I fell in love with this adorable, playful black kitty who has been such a fun companion for me, especially over busy APX summers when I hardly saw Dan. And I'm such an animal lover that I have to try every option before I resort to the final measure.
So, we de-clawed her. The hope is that she'll adjust to the baby because it's one new person and he won't be moving around and trying to play with her for quite some time. So MAYBE she'll get used to him before then...
Yeah, I know I'm probably only post-poning the inevitable. But I have to try, or I'm doomed to fight feelings of guilt for being a "cat-killer".

No comments:

Post a Comment