Thursday, October 15, 2009

38 1/2 Weeks and Counting...

Sometimes it's hard to believe I'm supposedly due in just over a week on October 25th. Not that it doesn't seem like I've been pregnant FOREVER because it does (Pregnancy always goes so much faster when it's not yours!) But I figure, like most first timers, I'll run a little late into the 41st week. I'm also thrown off by my smaller measurements. I've only gained a total of 17 pounds and haven't gained anything in the last month.

I had an ultra-sound yesterday. Here's what we discovered:
  • Baby is approximately 6.5 lbs
  • His head is really low and in good position
  • I'm measuring about a week behind, so November 3 could be induction day
  • My amniotic fluid is pretty low, which explains my smaller belly expansion

The amniotic fluid was the main discussion point. The fluid depth is measured and added up in cms. If it is 5cms or less, then they would consider inducing because it's dangerous for the baby to have so little fluid available. High fluid is anything above 24cms. I measured at 6.5cms. I spoke with one of the Drs., who instructed me not to be "anxious or stressed, but cautious". It doesn't appear that I'm leaking fluid, so the baby should be ok. I was told to just drink LOTS AND LOTS of fluids. Dan immediately pounced on that one and said, "Go to the store and buy 20 powerades, and if you haven't drunken 3-4 every day, I'm going to sit and WATCH you do it!" He means it, too. He's so funny! I love him for being involved and concerned - or maybe just a "bossy-boots", as I teased. Basically, the theory is: the more I drink, the more the baby pees and thus, the more amniotic fluid! Man... I thought I was urinating too much, as it was! I may as well never leave the bathroom until the baby comes.

Lastly, I am only BARELY dilated - not even one centimeter. But it's a start, right??

3 comments:

k.young said...

YAY! I am so excited for your little guy to get here!
Make sure you drink your fluids. :)

Ellen said...

Wow! I'm sorry that must be SO stressful to try and drink all those fluids!!! I hope everything continues to go well! We will be praying for you guys!! xoxo

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

I LOVE your posts. The way you explain things is so cute and halarious. Especially if it's involving Dan. Hurray for a 6.5 lb baby!! With your muscles, you'll push your baby out in minutes!! I can't believe you are almost done!!! Happy peeing!

Post a Comment