Wednesday, December 16, 2009

My Calm, Quiet Epiphany

My day started off differently today. I didn't rush to get up and pack up the baby and everything else I would need for the day. I didn't hurry to my dad's to exercise, and then jet out the door to complete my list of "to do"s. Instead, I woke up a little later than intended just before my visiting teachers arrived at my door. After fun chit-chatting, they offered the lession on compassionate service and brought such a wonderful spirit into my home. It was a peace I haven't felt consistently over the last couple months - and especially not the last two weeks. I realized a few things:
First, I need to slow down. I think it took reading over my previous blog entry and Dan talking to me again last night, to get me thinking about some needed changes. Dan was absolutely exhausted from his second-to-last exam. Sensing my own fatigue, he asked if I had napped. Of course I hadn't. I told him all the things I had been doing since I woke up and there was just no time. This slightly frustrated him, and he emphasized that I needed to schedule a nap into my day - to make it routine. In my mind, I simply said, "Yeah right" because I knew that meant knocking out something else from my day.
And then my morning happened differently today. And I liked it. I really liked it. As my visiting teachers sat with me, I found myself sharing with them how we need to have quiet moments in our day in order to feel the spirit and follow promptings - something I need to work on, especially with my new calling into the Relief Society as a third counselor. When they left, I suppose it wasn't so much an epiphany as it was acceptance. I've known I needed to slow down. But I haven't been willing. But it hit me strongly today that I need to re-prioritize my priorities. There are some legitimate items on my list that I have to do. But there are others that I can juggle around and not do every day, like exercise. Because in my whirlwind days, I'm not taking enough time to hold my boy and simply snuggle him. As I was reminded today, he will not be little forever. I need to savor this time I have with him.
I held Ty in the rocking chair today, ignoring the tiny remnants of anxious reminders of things I really could be doing, and simply enjoyed kissing his face and feeling his little hands clinging to my chest. I've never stopped being grateful for him in my life. And I don't want to ever take him for granted.

So today's to-do list is simple:
  • Love my son and enjoy my time with him as his mother.

2 comments:

k.young said...

Such a sweet post. Made my eyes water!

Hoenes Family said...

Amen Sister. I need to slow down and enjoy my girls! I think the days that my house is messy means that I have done my job as a mother to my girls :)

Post a Comment