Monday, December 14, 2009

My Life These Days...

Some people might say having a baby slows down your whole world... But I don't think that's the most accurate statement. In my opinion, the world keeps moving as fast as ever, and it takes all my effort just to keep up! The hardest part for me about having a baby is how much longer everything takes: getting the day going, doing errands, working on personal goals... I'm so used to zipping from here to there and literally running through stores at times to get things done faster. Not so when you have to haul a car seat around! Dan is surviving the semester. He's been studying furiously the last couple weeks, pulling 10-12 hour days with classes and his study-group. Ty and I don't see as much of him as we'd like, but we know it will pass. Lately, he sleeps on the couch so he can try and get uninterrupted sleep. In four more days he will complete his last exam, and we will be a year and a half into law school. HALF WAY DONE! The picture above is what frequently happens while Dan studies at home. Layla will desperately want to snuggle with him. She'll try every avenue to perch onto his chest, and Dan will resist and push her away multiple times. But eventually, her persistence wins. Last night, Dan tried to block her off with his arm. He had to laugh and concede when she weaseled her way between his arm and thigh! Everyone just needs a little love sometimes.
This is what happens when I'M trying to get work done. Sometimes Ty will cooperate and rest between my leg so I can use my laptop.
And sometimes, mom needs to rest, too. Unfortunately, naps are extremely rare for me. I bring it on myself, really. Dan gets mad at me for not taking care of myself and napping when Ty naps. But most days, I don't know what happens to the time. I have so much I want to do when Ty IS sleeping that if I also sleep, it will never get done. One major goal of mine is to finish my stinkin' novel! I had it completed at one point, just before Ty was born. But then...I reviewed it and decided it needed a few more scenes, so I'm back at it again, little by LITTLE. It's driving me crazy that I can't sit and focus on it long enough to be very productive.
Other things taking away my free time are exercising and my two part-time jobs. Between the two of them, I work about 13 hours a week, 8 or 9 of which are out of the house. When I work Saturday afternoons with the "State" kids, Dan hangs out with Ty watching football. And when I meet with my Telos boys or have meetings at various times during the week, I've been bringing Ty with me. It's a little distracting but it works for now. Sometimes keeping track of the two separate jobs can be stressful, on top of taking care of Ty, the house, and other errands. But I really enjoy working with these kids, and it feels good to get out of the house and be a part of something else I care a lot about.
Dan bought me these flowers this week when I was particularly worn out. Dan doesn't over-use flowers, so when he brings them home to me, I know it's a special occasion and it means a lot. These were particularly beautiful.
Despite the hard times, it's moments like these that melt my heart and rejuvenate my energy. I realize it's a bit of a boob-shot, but look how comfortable he looks! This is his absolute favorite way to sleep - one we're still working on at night.
At six weeks (two weeks ago), Ty finally discovered how intriguing the mobile is. His eyes were focused and following it for a good thirty minutes.
And he smiled!! (8 weeks) Every time I've thought he smiled before, we realize it was probably just gas - especially when it was followed by a poopy diaper. But today and yesterday, he smiled multiple times in a row in response to myself or his Grandpa! It makes me so happy.
I didn't quite catch this one in time. But I was thrilled.

So...my life these days: Tiring. Stressful. Different. And rewarding beyond words. I have a hard-working, supportive and loving husband who is pushing through law school to better provide for our future. I have the cutest baby boy who relies on and trusts me. I wouldn't trade it for anything.

1 comment:

k.young said...

You do need to slow down! Crazy lady!
You are writing a novel? I didn't know that. That is awesome. I can't wait to read it someday! :)
Sweet smiles from your little man!

Post a Comment