Every time Nicole subjects her kids to Uncle Dan's presence, he leaves his lasting influence. Usually, it's buying them soda and junk food, despite the disapproving looks from Nicole (who always has to "detox" her kids after any visit). But that's what uncles are for, right? Well, this trip, Dan introduced our nieces and nephew to his latest favorite phrase, "Deal with it, fruit cake!" - to be used in response to any one's reluctance to do what you want. You can be sure a very patient Nicole received a lot of these, from both brother and three kids!
Here are some highlights from our trip to New Jersey:

The kids introduced us to a fun game called, "Hi Harry!" It involves a short exchange of dialogue, a tube of lipstick to reward mistakes, and lots of laughs. You can tell who struggled the most in this game!

Ty was all bundled up on our walk around Princeton. I loved the campus! The architecture on those old buildings is beautiful.

The kids couldn't wait to take me rock-wall climbing. Little did they know I'm terrified of heights. But I've done it a few times before so I was a good sport. I always feel accomplished just to make it to the top of one of the easiest walls, simply for braving my fear. But my brother-in-law, Renaud, really pushed me to try some of the difficult walls. Instead of focusing on my fear, I focused on the physical challenge of climbing. All fear was forgotten when I was straining myself to reach the top. It was tough! And I was so proud of myself! It felt really good to use all my muscles like that again.

Renaud is amazing and such a natural, even though this was only his second day. I think everyone should know that Renaud's resting heart-rate is 49bpm. There's no stopping this man!

Yeah... this is Dan squeezing into a very old pair of Renaud's snow pants!

and... early morning racket ball lessons.

Ty was a major hit with the Couillens. Everyone wanted a picture with him - but hey, who wouldn't? Nicole was so awesome with him. Dan and I went into New York City just one day, and I was a little nervous to leave Ty for so long because there's no easy way to quickly come home if he was having too rough of a day. I don't know why I worried though. Nicole said he was an angel all day - but I'm sure that's easy when he feels so loved. She was so great with him the whole trip, as were the kids who loved to hold and play with him. I'm so happy he has great cousins!
All in all, we loved our week-long visit in New Jersey. Great company, food, and location - you can't go wrong, really. Thanks, Couillens!
No comments:
Post a Comment