When it comes to recreation therapy, there were a lot of things I never anticipated myself doing. In fact, in college when they talked about graduating and going on to take the certification exam, and the yearly fees to keep certified and licensed...I'll be honest. I imagined myself getting married and having kids and not being able to use it anyway. I was just going to be happy to graduate.
And then I experienced my very intense, thoroughly educating internship at New Haven under Karie Swenson. It was grueling, and I'll admit I cried a few times and was so happy the day I was finally done! But Karie had changed my outlook and understanding of recreation therapy. It was something I wanted to actually do now!
So I graduated in December, 2006 and passed the certification exam in May, 2007. When I returned from Vegas that summer, there were no job openings for RT. So I worked again as a "mentor" at Willow Creek School. After a month, I realized their potential for RT. I wrote a proposal to integrate RT into the daily schedule and they accepted! And I was able to work full time as a mentor, and part-time as a Rec. Therapist and loved it. Unfortunately, the program closed down, so my career as a Rec. Therapist was a short-lived, 8 month experience.
Still, I was proud of myself, and knew that if I created a job once I could do it again. In November 2008, I was hired for a full-time job at Telos and was so excited because it was everything I wanted as a recreation therapist. Fantastic program, and I loved working with Karl Jensen and learning from him. Unfortunately, I knew I only had 2 months because the board decided to cut the RT program in half to begin a humanitarian program. So my dream was again short-lived, and I was back on the not-so-promising job market.
Telos' after-care program, Transition, hired me for a few hours a week to work with their small house of boys. But I still needed more work. Through word of mouth in my ward, I interviewed at Extended Family Inc (a state program in Spanish Fork) and told them what I do. And I was again able to create a recreation therapy program! So I was able to beat the odds of the economy and gain some great experience through marketing myself. And I was able to keep it up even after having Ty.
So here's where the conference comes in: My friend Kristin Warren (who was another RT at New Haven during my internship) called me up and asked me to present with her at the Utah Recreation Therapy Association conference. The topic she wanted to present was on marketing yourself, and keeping up your certification as a mom. This was a month or so before Ty passed away, so as terrified as I was to present, I said, "sure!"
When Ty passed away, my first instinct was, "I quit. I quit everything. My job. My novel and writer's conference. That RT conference. Everything!" But it only took a couple days before I realized I needed all of those things to maintain my sense of self - to have something to get up and do everyday. This included the conference I was so intimidated to do. But I did it, and Kristin and I had a great experience.
3 comments:
It was nice to hear a re-cap on your carer in RT. I know you've been heavily involved in it, but I lost track with all the many programs you worked for. I must say I am super proud of you Erica! It is hard to work in a field that doesn't have a lot of opportunities. It's very inspiring how you have created your own work. Dance is similar in there aren't many opportunities, just ones you create. Unfortunately, I haven't been the go-getter you have. I haven't believed in myself or taken the initiative as you have. But maybe I'll start rethinking things and going for it. Thanks for being so inspiring!
Erica, I am so glad that you did the Conference with me, depsite it all. You truly are an amazing and inspiring person that I look up to so much!
I am glad that you have been having such a wonderful time with your family and really getting out and doing some things to bring you moments of happiness. You are right, it is amazing how therapeutic recreation really can be.
Whenever I think of things that might be hard for me to do, or way out of my comfort zone, I think of what you conquer everyday and how it is possible. Thanks for your example!
Yay! Good job girl!! I would have loved to have been there. Erica,you are amazing!
Post a Comment