
During Fall 2003, Dan and I met in a history class at BYU. He assumed I was a "hot Hawaiian" but was too chicken to come talk to me. However, he eventually managed to sit one seat away from me next to my friend. Thinking I knew him, I asked the stereo-typical line, "Do I know you?" (to which Dan was thrilled because he thought I was hitting on him when I was, in fact, simply hoping to put an end to the nagging question of why he looked so familiar). Turns out, we both played rugby for BYU. Also, I must have seen Dan at rugby try-outs when I went to support Ryan, who was trying out for the team. (Someone more romantic than myself might have assumed I remembered him from our premortal existence - you know, "Saturday's Warrior"-esq. Dan is gagging, just hearing me reference the movie).
Class three times a week led to much talking and flirting. Dan supposedly asked me out on our first date when he said, "Hey, the rugby team is having a BBQ at my house. You and your brother should come." (Anyone else on my side that his word choice did not signify a date?) He gave me his number just in case I needed a ride, which I did. While at his house, he spent the entire evening behind the grill while I was hit on by his friends more than him. But since Dan was my ride home, I hung out until everyone else left. Then the fun began: We went hot-tubbing (of course. How else were we to check out each other's bodies to see if more dates should persist? Jk!) and played on the beach of Utah Lake, along with a handful of other people. We instantly hit it off, and had our first "official" date a week or so late. Our relationship built from there over the next 14 months - surviving Dan's out of the blue, "I love you" to me, after one month of dating, to which I responded with panicked silence. At the time, I was sure I'd be breaking up with him in the Spring when he left to sell pest-control. It's safe to say I had commitment and marriage issues, but Dan was patient with me and cured me of my phobia.
Dan proposed to me on New Year's eve, 2004, in the busy city of New York, on an outrageously expensive carriage ride around Central Park. (That's a whole other story in itself!) And four months later...
We were sealed for time and all eternity on May 14, 2005 in the Bountiful temple.
There was a time when I was sure any relationship I was in would result in a break-up or divorce. There was a time when I never imagined I could feel so comfortable and so loved by a man. But here I am, five years of marriage later. I have never felt more confident in our relationship than now. Dan has carried me through my insecurities, has bolstered my confidence in every aspect of my life, and has held me through tears I never wished to cry.
I love you, Baby. Thanks for all the laughter and priceless times together. I'm so happy to share eternity with you.
10 comments:
5 years is a big deal! Congrats again! Im so glad to know you guys. You sure are awesome :)
So sweet! I love you guys!
I love Dan's face in the first wedding picture. He was and is so proud of you and proud to have you as his wife. I remember the first time I saw you two together and thought, "Oh they are totally getting married."
I am so glad you did and that we get to be sisters in law. Happy anniversary.
Aw, that's so sweet!! I loved the recap of your story. I remember you going to a rugby BBQ either before or after the event happened. I remember you telling me about some hot rugby player you met. You were SUPER excited about him! Wasn't that history class you took crazy hard?? It's a good thing you didn't drop the class! I think I remember trying to convince you to do so.
Happy Anniversary! I love you both! You are the best couple and I am glad that you found each other. You deserve each other!
I love reading this post because I was the roommate that got to hear all about that infamous "first date" when you got home! I'm so thankful that you fell in love with Dan, because if you hadn't, I wouldn't have met my hubby! Congratulations you guys - we love you!
I love it. I totally eat this stuff up - how we met, how he proposed etc... Happy Anniversary!!!!
What a cool story, and so beautifully written too. I can just hear Dan inviting on your "first date" - hilarious! I loved reading this, and I love you guys. Congratulations!
I love this post. Seriously. My Dan took me on a carriage ride around downtown SLC the night he proposed. CRAZY! (Not nearly as cool as NYC though...) Love you lots!
Post a Comment