Sunday, July 31, 2011

Closing Time...

We move to Las Vegas in six days. Where did the time go?? Despite our upcoming adventure of moving out of this college town to all the excitement Las Vegas brings, I've found myself mentally "dragging my feet". Emotionally, I'm not ready to say good-bye.

I grew up as a "third culture kid", where I couldn't really claim any country as home. "Home" became where ever we moved every two-four years, and friends had a quick turn-over, which made me selective of who I became attached to. But I loved my childhood and learned to adjust and make do with whatever life had to offer me. I was always ok as long as I had my family.

I remember when Dan and I were dating more seriously and he first mentioned law school to me. It was winter and we were standing outside in a cold apartment parking lot and he asked how I felt about another few years in Provo. I made a face, looking around at the icy ground with my jacket pulled tightly around me, and couldn't believe I'd be stuck in this little town even longer. But sure, why not?

Nine years later and against all odds, it has become somewhat "home" to me. I think, "Really? Provo??" But so much has happened here with an abundance of memories: First time away from home; BYU and all that comes with college; falling in love with rugby; falling in love with Dan; marriage; remodeling the condo and learning some definite "what NOT to do's" when painting and buying furniture; loving my employment and working with some amazing teens; birthing and raising my son as long as I was blessed to have him before laying him to rest; grieving and healing; pregnancy #2; birthing my beautiful daughter; law school and completing the Bar!; and having a blast with my family while making the best of friends. For a girl who hasn't known how to plant roots, Provo will now be a huge part of my heart.

Ty has a lot to do with the emotions I'm feeling. It's hard to leave him behind in that cemetery I love so much. That has become my place with him. I've always said I know he doesn't hang out there, but I have prayed numerous times to Heavenly Father to send him there to be with me, and I believe my request has been granted on occasion. Now I have to find a new place. My friend Kim pointed out that the temple will always be a place I can find him. That brought me comfort to remember that the Las Vegas temple will only be 30-40 minutes away from where I live. It won't be as easy to pick up and go to the temple any time I want, but it's definitely incentive to make it there more often. And perhaps there will be somewhere else that will develop into a place for my time with Ty.

In moving, I suppose I also feel like I'm leaving behind a huge support network. Everyone I hang out with on a daily basis, whether in my ward, my old ward, my work, my friends... all have played an intimate role in my life for the past year and a half. I know I will meet wonderful people in Vegas. However, this chapter of my life will be a secondary experience for them and they will not understand me to the same extent that others do...why Josh Groban makes me cry, why Willow Trees make me smile... But if life is like a book, I'd like to hope they will be a part of some other amazing chapters to come.

Here's a day of fun I had a couple weeks ago:

It was a beautiful day to walk to Bridal Veil Falls with Jamie and her two girls. I have not taken enough advantage of Provo Canyon and all the gorgeous hiking trails.



 Little Rowan ("Ro-Ro")

Aysa and her adventurous personality

My little diva-baby who was not crazy about the sun in her eyes.

My best bud, Jamie, being utilized as "the human bjorn" as she calls it! Aiyana loved being carried like this and looking around at everything, so content to be outside. As for me, I couldn't help but become nostalgic, remembering how walks with Jamie began and how much has happened between now and then. I grabbed her in a big hug and we cried a little. Aiyana and I are going to miss her.

Crazy full rivers this year!

Squaw Peak
(I never made it up here to make out with a boy in college though. This was my first time! --err, not making out. I mean checking out the spectacular view)

Good-bye Provo!

Later that day we went swimming at Veteran's Pool with Jamie and her sister, Abbie. I mostly laid in the shade, reading on a towel while Aiyana gazed at the leaves above her, relaxing on a blanket.

We caught a short nap together, too. I love cuddling like this! (sorry for the cleavage shot though)

She fell asleep with her finger hooked on my swimsuit, exposing me in ways I preferred to crop out this time!

Good times, good times.

5 comments:

Brandon and Jamie Smith said...

Such a sweet and tender post! I'm sad you are leaving Provo too! You sure went through a lot of life changing experiences while you were there. The people in Las Vegas will be so blessed to have you and Dan.

Jon and Kim said...

Oh how I already miss you and you haven't even left yet! Change is always hard and is always an adjustment, but you will find good friends in Vegas too! It might take some time, but God will bless you with good friends. I love you Erica. I can't wait to hear about the new chapters in your book of life! Post often!

Karmen said...

I can't believe you're gone in 6 days!!!! NOOOOO!!!! I hate that I wasn't able to see you more while we both lived here. We will be sure to visit whenever we go to Vegas though! Good luck with the move! I love you Erica!

Jamie Malloy said...

i've decided.....you're not leaving...see you tomorrow!

Miss Crys said...

I am sad you have to leave Provo too...such deep roots you have there now. I hope your doors are opened and that life get's more beautiful with time.

Post a Comment