Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Jersey Fun

Dan and I try and make it out once a year to New Jersey to visit the Couillens, where Dan's sister, Nicole, and her family live. It was warm and muggy! I forgot how much I dislike humidity. I was constantly wondering how I ever became so used to Thailand's weather with my skin feeling sticky the whole year round. But I think it's like anything else in life: you make a choice to adjust because you have to.

Besides, being with family out-weighs any discomfort. One of the best days all around was playing at

THE BEACH:

 Emily let us borrow Addie's adorable swimsuit, a first-time for Aiyana. I didn't know they sold them this small!
For the majority of the time, Aiyana lounged under the umbrella, reclining in her bouncy-chair that we brought with us. (I tell you, that thing is a life-saver!) She loves being out in nature and barely fussed at all.

 Towards the end of the day, we did take her out to the ocean to document her first-time at the beach. She thought about it for a few moments...

 and burst into tears!

 Such a sad face! I call it her "crying troll face". Not her best look! But this is the face I can't resist rescuing.


 Enzo, Chloe, and Milan adored Aiyana. For the first two days, she was a cranky girl. There was the time change to deal with, but she was also way over-stimulated from the attention, door-slamming, and general loudness that comes from a house full of people. But the kids took such good care of her and were so sweet with her. She seemed to enjoy the attention as she adjusted and gave them lots of smiles and cooing.

 I liked watching Enzo with her in particular. At 12 years old, Enzo is often abrasive and frustrated with his sisters, and enjoys playing rough and talking trash with his Uncle Dan. But the moment he picked up Aiyana, he would instantly melt and show a sweet soft-side of his personality.


 Sandra is an amazing grandma. She let the girls wear her out, always willing to play with them, stay up late and have "sleep-overs" each night, and even get a "stunning" make-over that I didn't get a picture of. (But I hear from Chloe that the bright blue eyeshadow made Sandra's eyes "pop" just right.)


 The waves weren't enormous like last year but they were still fun to play in... at least when I wasn't screaming like a ninny about jelly-fish. The water was the perfect temperature, somewhere in the 70's, and I should have thoroughly enjoyed it had I not been terrified of the slimy little discs that I touched every so often. Growing up in Thailand beaches, I never got used to the scare of those long, clear tentacles floating near me every once in a while, or lying in big, nasty blobs in the sand -- especially after a particularly terrifying episode where Jen felt tentacles of some kind wrap all around her arm and arm-pit, stinging her so badly that she was crying and begging for the fiery pain to stop. Ryan, a friend, and I were in the water with her when it happened. We had no idea what Jen was trying to shake off, but the look on her face and sound of her voice was enough to make us all swim as fast as we could back to shore, Ryan and our friend dragging Jen with us. Poor Jen... Huge, red welts developed all over her left arm pit and inside of her bicep, and she was emotionally scarred by the time the pain slowly subsided. Even witnessing it second-hand left its impact.

SO... when I saw these palm-sized, transparent jelly-fish, despite their smaller size, I'd screech at the top of my lungs while flailing through the water to wrap myself around Dan. He and Renaud laughed at me. Renaud, obviously not understanding my non-exaggerated (albeit a little ridiculous) terror, kept playing pranks on me like swimming beneath me and grabbing me, or throwing jellyfish/shells my way. I had to take a break and retreat to our umbrella because I became so dizzy from the waves... ok, probably from the screaming and shortness of breath... but at least I got back in the water later. And I eventually calmed down and became somewhat used to those type of jellyfish that actually had no tentacles and did not sting. (Dan claimed they looked like boob implants) In fact, Dan, Renaud, and Enzo were scooping them up and pegging each other with them!


 Dan and Renaud were pro-body-surfers and raced over and over to see who could ride the wave the furthest. Renaud usually won, with or without cheating. But occasionally...

 Dan was victorious.

I love this picture. So much happening int his one wave: Milan, sitting on top of her father, is about to get knocked over by the wave, as is Chloe below. Dan is riding the wave while Sandra takes the wave straight-on! Good day.

MILAN'S BAPTISM:

The timing of our visit was due to Milan's baptism on Saturday. She seemed nervous at first but she and Renaud performed the ordinance perfectly, and Milan looked so pretty.


The Spirit was really strong at her baptism. I felt so happy that Milan could receive the Gift of the Holy Ghost. Even at 28, I continue to learn how the Holy Ghost speaks personally to me and much help I receive. Milan's grandmas, Hugie and Sandra, both gave talks, and so did Dan. Dan and I also sang, "Teach Me to Walk in the Light". It was a simple, a capella arrangement but I was proud of Dan. When we were dating, he never would have agreed to it, but that day he sang melody while I sang harmony. It makes me happy that his confidence and enjoyment for singing is growing. He judges himself too harshly, but he he did well holding his part, especially when he's never done that before, not to mention in front of people.

 The Couillens

 Grandma Kiefer and Aiyana

MISCELLANEOUS:

Even up until our last day, if I laid Aiyana down to hang out in her bouncy chair, this is typically what I would find when I returned to the room. The kids swarmed her with attention and she eventually responded happily to each of them, most of the time. Before sacrament meeting, I overheard the kids dividing up the time so they could take turns holding Aiyana every minute! Unfortunately, she was tired and in a bad mood so their plan didn't work out so well.

 Here's Dan taking a full swing at a wasp's nest just outside the Couillens' front door. It fell in one hit. But maybe that was partially due to the pelting it took from the compressed-air PVC gun that Dan helped Enzo make. They shots carrots straight through the hive! The gun was quite an impressive project that won Dan "Uncle of the Year" award in Enzo's eyes, contrasting with disapproving scowls from Dan's sister.

Dan enjoyed every minute of it.

Next trip with with Couillens... perhaps Puerto Rico? It was a parting thought as we said goodbye at the airport, but all you Kiefers out there, let's talk it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment